[workarounded] Gnome - GTK theme "crashing"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kwevej

[workarounded] Gnome - GTK theme "crashing"

Post by kwevej »

Hello,

it happens sometimes @ Mint9 / LMDE that Gnome looses its decorations, and i get something like that:

Usually when I'm operating with Skype.
When I'm trying to run Appearance properties (after the crash), i get: "Unable to start gnome-settings-daemon"

Anybody experiencing the same? / Which gnome component is responsible for theming/decorations ?

Thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Gnome - GTK theme "crashing"

Post by proxima_centauri »

*Moved to LMDE subforum*
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

I have experienced that a lot before with Mint 9 Main and Ubuntu 10.04 under virtualbox. It happens when changing window mode to full screen mode, and vice versa.
But I haven't experienced that outside virtualbox (on my test machine). Haven't experienced that as well on LMDE, both, on virtualbox and in my test machine.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I'm confused. :?

You experience the "theme crash" on Virtualbox with Mint 9 main edition and 10.04 in Virtualbox, but not when installed.
You haven't experienced the "theme crash" on LMDE in Virtualbox or when installed?

EDIT: Sorry, confused KenWeiLL with the OP.
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

proxima_centauri wrote:I'm confused. :?

You experience the "theme crash" on Virtualbox with Mint 9 main edition and 10.04 in Virtualbox, but not when installed.
You haven't experienced the "theme crash" on LMDE in Virtualbox or when installed?
Yes. I've only experience the same problem on virtualbox only. Not outside virtualbox.

I'm dual-booting LMDE+winxp on one machine. Another dual boot of Mint 9+winxp on another machine. And another dual boot of Ubuntu 10.04+win7 on another machine. Never experienced that on my dual booted machines.

I have only experience that inside virtualbox.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

Well, I experience that both @ Main edition & Debian edition ...
I guess it's related to Qt or something, ... It happens with Skype, today i've noticed that after I've been "texing" in Kile (KDE app)..
dingy

Post by dingy »

kwevej wrote: Anybody experiencing the same?
Yes! Sometimes I have this problem when booting. Then, when I go the control center and choose my theme again, some programs (like firefox) reload the right theme while other (like nautilus) don't. It's bloody annoying.

Edit: and now I can't uninstall Python 2.6 for some unknown reason, which I wanted to do because I can't get django to work (because when installing django by means of the software centre it it isn't added to sys.path - which makes it uselss by definition). **** this. I'm through with the buggy ****fest that is Linux Mint. I'm not going to spend half my day troubleshooting shit.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited for language
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

Happens also when I close KeePassX ... which is Qt based.
hoboslobobabe

Post by hoboslobobabe »

Hi,
I have Mint Isadora LTS main edition.
And I have the same issue.
Really I have no idea when or why it happens.
It's just that all of the sudden I think, what's going on, when did I switch to the Windows 3.1 look ;) ?
After reboot it has so far been normal again.
Changing the appearance back to default manually only works partially for me.
The Menu and panel look normal again, as does my browser.
But the windows and folders still have this total basic look.
It's weird.
Maybe it has something to do with effects?
I decreased them because I read it'd help video playback for (jerky) HD mkv files.

Regards
Hobo
leodelacruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leodelacruz »

Install engines.. example murrine, equinox
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

Return to “LMDE Archive”