alt+F2 and Print Screen questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

alt+F2 and Print Screen questions

Postby kmb42vt on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:44 pm

I just happened to notice a couple problems with LMDE involving the 'alt+F2' key combination and the Print Screen key in that pressing alt+F2 does not bring up the run dialog and hitting the Print Screen does not bring up the screenshot app as it does in LM9. In fact the Print Screen key doesn't seem to do anything when it should load the current screen into memory so you can paste into The Gimp for example. I know the keyboard is mapped out correctly (It's a generic Logitech keyboard--nothing fancy) and alt+F2 and Print Screen work properly in LM9.

Is this normal for LMDE/Debian or am I off my rocker? Okay, I know I'm off my rocker but it be great if someone could confirm this anomaly for me. :P
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: alt+F2 and Print Screen questions

Postby secipolla on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Did you check the keyboard shortcuts settings?
secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dawgdoc on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 pm

I was having the same problem with <ALT>+F2 not bringing up the Run-dialog, so your question prompted me to check.

I could not find anything in the Keyboard Shortcuts app, under the Preferences Menu section which was of help. Since I am using Compiz for eye candy, I checked settings in CompizConfiguration Settings Manager. The issues were resolved by enabling Gnome Compatibility in the General section.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 17 Cinnamon, LMDE
READING: Smoke Screen by Dick Francis
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby secipolla on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 am

I use plain Sid. I just noticed that Alt+Print didn't work to take a screenshot of a window. So I set it to (Super key)Mod4+Print .
Alt+F2 and just Print work fine.
secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kmb42vt on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:19 am

dawgdoc wrote:I was having the same problem with <ALT>+F2 not bringing up the Run-dialog, so your question prompted me to check.

I could not find anything in the Keyboard Shortcuts app, under the Preferences Menu section which was of help. Since I am using Compiz for eye candy, I checked settings in CompizConfiguration Settings Manager. The issues were resolved by enabling Gnome Compatibility in the General section.

That was it for me. I completely spaced on that one as I was so used to it being enabled by default in LM9 once I installed the Nvidia 195 driver. Thanks!
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby supercompact on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:16 pm

dawgdoc wrote:I was having the same problem with <ALT>+F2 not bringing up the Run-dialog, so your question prompted me to check.

Same thing worked for me.
supercompact
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions