I've had a Testing-moment.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

I've had a Testing-moment.

Post by Silent Warrior »

:D

Ok, there I am, happily computing away on the Liquorix-kernel, and what do I see? OpenOffice breaks! :shock: Yep, sure as I'm standing here, the 2.6.36-liquorix-offering breaks OpenOffice for me - BUT NOTHING ELSE. How about that, eh? So, back on the older Debian .32-kernel, things are back to normal. (2.6.35 worked, but I couldn't find it in Liquorix's repository again.)

I'm having great fun with LMDE. It is, however, a bit more maintenance-heavy than I think I have the time for at this particular system... I'll consider switching my main desktop over to LMDE, but for my present needs, I guess rolling isn't the wisest move. Thanks to bobcollard (see 'Fedora 12'-topic) I'm planning to try Fedora's latest offering - though the LiveCD throws a kernel-panic at me. (Not on boot; only after monkeying around a bit.) :mrgreen:
So... about Julia...?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: I've had a Testing-moment.

Post by tdockery97 »

I unfortunately must agree about LMDE being maintenance heavy. Enough so that I have removed it and given the extra space over to Julia. I'll keep my Clonezilla backup of LMDE just in case I feel the itch again.

I think Julia is Mint's crowning achievement. For my personal taste, it feels far and away ahead of Mint 9. One of the most notable improvements for me personally is in temperature control. My laptop is running a full 10 degrees cooler on Julia than it did on Isadora or LMDE. That alone was enough to sell me. :D.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

it is still early days for LMDE so please have a little patience with it, it has it `s quirks `n ` quarks sure but I am enjoying it so far...
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

tdockery: I shall await the release with bated breath!

vicshrike: Yes, I noticed, and I enjoy it too. But now I'm at a point in my life where it will be... disruptive if I have to spend a day or two trying to recover from an over-eager update that may or may not ravage my essay-writing-facilities. I just don't have the time to spare right now. I expect I'll be back to LMDE in the not too distant future, though. Maybe even before Squeeze is out? :twisted:
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

Silent Warrior wrote: I expect I'll be back to LMDE in the not too distant future, though. Maybe even before Squeeze is out? :twisted:
You know Squeeze is slated for release in December.
Bordee

Post by Bordee »

@Silent Warrior: I've been using the Liquorix 2.6.35 kernel for a while on LMDE running Sid, and when I upgraded to the 2.6.36 liquorix kernel, it broke Chromium, where it went to a black screen, with the cursor frozen, indicating kernels failures running Chromium. This happened to me twice, and both times I had to manually power down the computer. I since reverted back to liquorix 2.6.35.8 and am running smoothly.

You still might be able to find the old liquorix packages in synaptic -- assuming you haven't cleaned out the cache recently -- by simply doing a seach in Synaptic of "2.6.35". That's how I found my old kernel and reinstalled it.

Also, A few weeks ago, I tried 2.6.36 from Debian Experimental Repos, and I couldn't get that kernel to run properly with my external monitor. I'm wondering if anybody else has had problems with the 2.6.36 kernel?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Silent Warrior, the previous kernel should still be installed, unless you specifically removed it. You should be able to boot to it from the boot menu, by selecting the proper version. Adding new kernels doesn't remove old ones.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

also i wouldn't put liquorix or experimental related breakage on lmde's tab ;)
ChromeMukuro

Post by ChromeMukuro »

I use liquorix and I've noticed only great improvement. My system runs faster, and my webcam works without needing to play usb pellmanism.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

I've been using a Sid/Lqx setup for a while now and have had no probs at all. I am currently using 2.6.36-0.dmz.5 and OO works great.
I don't use Chromium myself but FF and Opera are working fine. In fact I'm hard wired on Comcast's Xfinity Xtreme (100Mb/s) and with the last couple of upgrades it seems like I've been able to grab a little more bandwidth each time.(perceived, it's probably just raw throughput though.)
Anyway, Sid/Liquorix hasn't given me any trouble at all.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Well, it took me longer to notice OpenOffice breaking than removing the previous Liquorix-offering, and having severely limited HD-space... I know that's nothing to do with LMDE, but on closer reading it should come to light that the maintenance in general is more effort than I should spend right now. Though, actually, it seemed OpenOffice was still messed up even after the kernel-reversion... So, with the system buggered beyond my skills to mend, I went ahead and gave Fedora 14 a spin - and so far, so good. A different beast altogether, but as long as I get OO, Audacious and Denemo, I'm happy enough. I would really like to know why KDE goes funny, though... Anyway, that's for the Fedora-bunch.

k3lt01: Mm, yes, well, they have their release-when-ready-policy, don't they? Hey, still, I expect to have my banking issues to be solved by December, so I'll be distribution- and browser-agnostic again either way. It seems Fedora actually has a third-party repository for the utility that was the original cause for the bank-stuff... Interesting times ahead.
damentz

Post by damentz »

Bordee wrote:@Silent Warrior: I've been using the Liquorix 2.6.35 kernel for a while on LMDE running Sid, and when I upgraded to the 2.6.36 liquorix kernel, it broke Chromium, where it went to a black screen, with the cursor frozen, indicating kernels failures running Chromium. This happened to me twice, and both times I had to manually power down the computer. I since reverted back to liquorix 2.6.35.8 and am running smoothly.

You still might be able to find the old liquorix packages in synaptic -- assuming you haven't cleaned out the cache recently -- by simply doing a seach in Synaptic of "2.6.35". That's how I found my old kernel and reinstalled it.

Also, A few weeks ago, I tried 2.6.36 from Debian Experimental Repos, and I couldn't get that kernel to run properly with my external monitor. I'm wondering if anybody else has had problems with the 2.6.36 kernel?
Update your source line for your liquorix sources to read:

Code: Select all

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main past
I put the last stable kernel series into the past branch and update them periodically. If you're feeling adventurous and your time is no object, you can add the branch, future, to the source line too.
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

damentz wrote: Update your source line for your liquorix sources to read:

I put the last stable kernel series into the past branch and update them periodically. If you're feeling adventurous and your time is no object, you can add the branch, future, to the source line too.
Thanks for the great work your kernels are the best! 8)
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

damentz wrote:
Bordee wrote:@Silent Warrior: I've been using the Liquorix 2.6.35 kernel for a while on LMDE running Sid, and when I upgraded to the 2.6.36 liquorix kernel, it broke Chromium, where it went to a black screen, with the cursor frozen, indicating kernels failures running Chromium. This happened to me twice, and both times I had to manually power down the computer. I since reverted back to liquorix 2.6.35.8 and am running smoothly.

Update your source line for your liquorix sources to read:

:shock: Wow, a celebrity guest! Loving your work - like the man said, your kernels are the s##t!
That future branch does look interesting, thrills and chills. Things have been pretty mellow in the sid repos so I think I'll try it for a while (bug reports too of course.)
Bordee

Post by Bordee »

I agree with the above posters. I've enjoyed using your kernels and appreciate all of your hard work and effort. Keep up the great job!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Great job damentz; love your work. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

tdockery97 wrote:I unfortunately must agree about LMDE being maintenance heavy. Enough so that I have removed it and given the extra space over to Julia. I'll keep my Clonezilla backup of LMDE just in case I feel the itch again.

I think Julia is Mint's crowning achievement. For my personal taste, it feels far and away ahead of Mint 9. One of the most notable improvements for me personally is in temperature control. My laptop is running a full 10 degrees cooler on Julia than it did on Isadora or LMDE. That alone was enough to sell me. :D.
Clonezilla has one difficulty when you have a multiboot config. I tried with a testdistro. At restore it writes Grub in the MBR... How dare it. It has to ask where to put the Grub-info. To MBR or to partition.
So after that you can't start the other OS-s. Repair: I restored afterwords the testdistro, pointed its Grub1 to partition and did a new install of the OS wich I like to have the MBR (also the other OS-es), did a restore MBR and go.

Other tool?
Others like 'Partimage' etc. can't save a 'nul image-block' of the partition of LMDE(??) Ik don't know what to think of that.
'Live Magic' in LMDE does about 2,5 hours..!!! on making a livecd.iso and then you have a sort of original, but not your custom
livecd of your LMDE.

So I'm still searching a smooth remastertool for LMDE or else I can't work with LMDE.
There will be always reasons forcing you to restore (so also to backup) your system or to put it in another partition or HD.
(Remastersys, which did a hell of a job for me with former Ubuntu/Mint distro's, is not 'on' at the moment.)

LMDE looks fine and stable. I have set it to 'squeeze'. Did not leave it in 'testing'. And synchronized.
No problems. Great job Clem! :D
(I only have some tiny colourshift in text at the moment, when I use Firefox.) But that is minor. :)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Try remastersys. I haven't used it for backing up/restoring multi-boot systems, but it works well on a pure Linux install.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

@damentz: First of all thanks for all your work - I've been using those kernels for 2 months or something now and couldn't be happier. Still I'd like to stay on the save side and use the "past" "stable" ones and I was just thinking that'd i'd be cool if they also had a metapackage the way the regular ones do. Just thinking out aloud though :D

Thanks and keep up the good work
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

sgosnell wrote:Try remastersys. I haven't used it for backing up/restoring multi-boot systems, but it works well on a pure Linux install.
I used it with Mint 6, 7 and 8 (Oh and the Ubuntu's). Great tool. Like remasterme of mylivecd in PCLOS.
But like I wrote: I'm sorry to say it is off for days if not for weeks on the site for the Debian (LMDE user). :wink:
There are different Remastersyses.

Return to “LMDE Archive”