LMDE Updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE Updates

Post by timmn1 »

To keep an extremely long story short, I was doing something, and ended up running dselect in Root Terminal.

Now, dselect found a bunch of updates that Update Manager seemed to be unaware of, and I installed them. They seemed to solve a number of other problems I was having.

Which brings me to my questions:

Why did Update Manager not know of these updates? I thought they were using the same repositories.

If Update Manager can't keep the system updated, is there another program out there that I should be running, other than dselect, to keep it updated?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
DetroitGeek

Re: LMDE Updates

Post by DetroitGeek »

I'm here searching for the same answer. I see my notifier telling me I have 20 updates but the MintUpdate screen tells me I have 4. Checking the preferences of Mint Update I see levels 4 and 5 turned off, so thinking that's what was hiding the difference I turned them on. That didn't change anything, MU still showed 4 updates, so I turned them back off. What happened to the other 16?

--After the fact--

After browsing the forums I found our answer at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... mintupdate and it makes perfect sense. Either wait for the maintainer to approve the updates at the LMDE level where MintUpdate will show the updates a few days later or run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
, which overrides the Maintainers decision and gets all of the updates available. There is also a discussion on the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade that needs attention.
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

You should be very careful running "autoremove". If you don't know what you are doing to could render your system unusable.
mads

Post by mads »

timmn1, your question is answered in Linux Mint Debian's release notes (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php):

"Known problems in Linux Mint Debian
Update Manager
The Update Manager used in LMDE is the same as the one in other editions of Linux Mint. No adaptation or changes were made yet to accomodate it to the rolling nature of LMDE.
..."

The best way to update LMDE is an ongoing discussion: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... mintupdate
From what I have understood the preferred method to update LMDE is:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Or you can use an alias to make it easier. I have an alias set up as

alias update='sudo apt-gtt update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
which allows me to just type 'update', enter my password when prompted, and get a full update. Aliases are very useful tools.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

mads,

Thank you for that link, for some reason, it didn't show up when I searched.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
mads

Post by mads »

timmn1 wrote:mads, Thank you for that link, for some reason, it didn't show up when I searched.
No problem mate! As you say: Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”