Multilingual LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Multilingual LMDE

Postby Imagus on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:13 am

Hello,

I would like to be able to choose between English, Dutch and French at the login screen, but I don't know how to install the necessary language packs. I have searched the forums and found one thread which said that I had to install "language-pack-gnome-<language code>" and "language-pack-gnome-<language code>-base". However, there are no such packages in my Synaptic. Were they renamed in LMDE? If so, where can I find them?

Thank you.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multilingual LMDE

Postby RavanH on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Looking for the same, I feel LMDE falls short on this aspect to all other Mint distro's :(

Normally, you would need the package gnome-language-selector to get that neat Install Languages gui that lets you select any aditional languages and automates the whole process of installing the needed dictionarie - and/or translation packages.

Without knowing any alternative package in the Debian repositories, I would guess you will need to pick all the packages manually. As far as I can figure, you need for the languages (with code xx) you want :
1. the myspell-xx packages -> open Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for 'myspell'
2. all available -l10n-xx packages belonging to any installed programs > in Synaptic search for 'l10n' (that's L-one-zero-N)

Hope that helps, but really hoping there is someone who can point me to any good alternative to the Gnome Language Selector :roll:
RavanH
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions