Multilingual LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Multilingual LMDE

Post by Imagus »

Hello,

I would like to be able to choose between English, Dutch and French at the login screen, but I don't know how to install the necessary language packs. I have searched the forums and found one thread which said that I had to install "language-pack-gnome-<language code>" and "language-pack-gnome-<language code>-base". However, there are no such packages in my Synaptic. Were they renamed in LMDE? If so, where can I find them?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RavanH

Re: Multilingual LMDE

Post by RavanH »

Looking for the same, I feel LMDE falls short on this aspect to all other Mint distro's :(

Normally, you would need the package gnome-language-selector to get that neat Install Languages gui that lets you select any aditional languages and automates the whole process of installing the needed dictionarie - and/or translation packages.

Without knowing any alternative package in the Debian repositories, I would guess you will need to pick all the packages manually. As far as I can figure, you need for the languages (with code xx) you want :
1. the myspell-xx packages -> open Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for 'myspell'
2. all available -l10n-xx packages belonging to any installed programs > in Synaptic search for 'l10n' (that's L-one-zero-N)

Hope that helps, but really hoping there is someone who can point me to any good alternative to the Gnome Language Selector :roll:

Return to “LMDE Archive”