I can't hibernate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I can't hibernate

Postby pollanza on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Hello,
I've LMDE on my desktop pc and I'm really happy with it. But I've one problem -> it can't hibernate.
When I press hibernate, the sistem (almost) shutdown but il remains in a suspend state (all fan going, case light on) instead of hibernate state.
I've 1 gb of ram and 1,2 gb of swap. The swap is working (after the installation the fstab was wrong).
I don't know what to do and hibernation may be usefull sometime!
pollanza
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I can't hibernate

Postby rob2uk on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:24 pm

pollanza wrote:I've 1 gb of ram and 1,2 gb of swap

You should really have a swap partition 2.5x the size of your RAM, i.e. 2.5gb swap for 1gb RAM, 5gb swap for 2gb RAM, etc.

That may or may not be where the problem lies
GA-965-DS3, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2, 2x1TB HDD, Linux Mint 11
Acer Aspire 5332, Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint Debian
Compaq CQ-60, Sempron 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Tinycore 3.7rc2 (Minecraft server!)
rob2uk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CiaW on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm

I think past a certain amount of ram, having 2x (or 2.5x) as a swap partition is overkill. When I got this pc I had 2gb of ram, and when I replaced the hard drive a few months back I made a 4gb swap partition which was only ever used when I hibernated (Fedora 13). I recently upgraded to 4gb of ram just because ddr2 is still pretty cheap but ddr3 appears to be becoming the new standard; but I kept the same 4gb partition and Fedora 13 hibernates and wakes up again just fine.

LMDE however appears to hibernate (i.e. it shuts down) but when I power on, instead of 'waking up' to the desktop I hibernated from it just does a regular boot. So, hibernate doesn't work for me either in LMDE. I just haven't felt like taking the time to try and figure it out, yet.

However, for the OP if you have 1gb of ram, 2 or 3 gb for swap would probably be a good thing if you can swing it. Since it doesn't even shut down when you try to hibernate, you might want to check /var/log/messages or (something new I just discovered!) > Menu > System Tools > Log File Viewer and go to the bottom of the messages.1 that it appears opens by default, and see if there's anything there that mentions hibernate or swap or anything. It also looks like there's a pm-suspend.log also, that might have some clues.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby zamiere on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:40 am

If you write into Terminal:
Code: Select all
free

and you see Swap: 0, then probably your swap partition's UUID is different from the stored value.

Then the solution is update partition's UUID in /etc/fstab.

sudo blkid

will list UUIDs of partitions.

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

and change the UUIDs to real values.

sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

and change this UUID too.

sudo update-initramfs -u

and reboot.

After reboot, you can hibernate the system.

BLANK SCREEN AFTER RESUME

Another problem is when resume after hibernate, the screen remains blank. Switching consoles and back doesn't helps.
The solution is creating a file in /etc/pm/config.d/

sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/resume_post_video

and put

HIBERNATE_RESUME_POST_VIDEO="yes"

line into it.
zamiere
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pollanza on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Thank you for the answers!
The swap is working ok (it's being used by the system) and all the UUIDs are right.
The swap partition doesn't have to be twice the size of the ram, I'm quite sure of that... The only thing that I found about this problem is that there can be some problems resuming the hibernation if the partition is not in the same drive as the boot partition. Maybe it's that, but the point is that it didn't even hibernate in my case!
pollanza
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shrey2smart on Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:42 am

CiaW wrote:
LMDE however appears to hibernate (i.e. it shuts down) but when I power on, instead of 'waking up' to the desktop I hibernated from it just does a regular boot. So, hibernate doesn't work for me either in LMDE. I just haven't felt like taking the time to try and figure it out, yet.

I am using Linux Mint 10 x64 .Hibernation didnot work since the beginning (loaded into blank screen). I noticed that only case hibernation worked was when battery ran out and hibernation was the action for the trigger.After some searching , the package "hibernate" which is not installed seemed intuitive (sorry i didnt read this post before) . After i installed that package , I ran into the same problem as quoted above. After hibernation , it would say 'resuming from disk....' and then do a normal boot and doesnt restore the last session as expected

So I uninstalled the package expecting to land with the original problem .But the problem persists. Suspend works fine . I still love mint :P
shrey2smart
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gozvakond on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 am

I posted a solution in a topic like this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=64071&p=451120#p451120
If you stil have problems, it may work. I also encountered normal boot instead of resuming, but could not find any evidence that it is even looking for a resume image. So I specified the location.
gozvakond
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lmintnewb on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 am

Don't know if hibernation is covered. But this thread looked like a must bkmark for folks with lmde. Another simple solution to a problem like this. Turn your computer off when you aren't using it. Sure there are a ton of other common sense work arounds, hacks and fixes that could improve any lmde users linuxy goodness quotient. Just sayin ... if you aren't using it and want to conserve battery etc. Don't see how it'd hurt to shut it down. If you need to boot it back up ... waiting 30-40 secs isn't the end of the world. Just an opinion on it.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76010&p=441119&hilit=+UTC+lmde+#p441119
lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions