[SOLVED] Lots of additional packages during update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dfx

Re: Lots of additional packages during update

Post by dfx »

oOarthurOo wrote:
mads wrote:Two questions in regard to removing "gnome-core" meta-package:
1. If any new dependencies are added to gnome-core, will APT notify me of these additional packages?
2. How about the transition from Gnome 2.x to Gnome 3 later on?
1. Not if gnome-core isn't installed no. If it is, then when you type "aptitude full-upgrade" it will pause before proceeding to tell you 'x number of packages will be upgraded and 'y' installed'. You'll have to cancel to examine why new packages are being installed. If, on the other hand you type "aptitude safe-upgrade" then nothing new will be installed, only existing packages upgraded. Not too sure about what warnings will be produced.

2. This is something I'm interested in myself, as I'm running sid. Frankly, there is going to be some serious breakages in the coming months as gnome3 pieces are rolled out, but since you're running testing (or Mint based on Testing) you should be spared most of that breakage.

In general, I recommend avoiding metapackages. They're fine for beginner's who don't understand what each package does, but if you know what evolution is, and know what empathy is, and know what eog is, then I think you're at the point where you can remove meta-packages altogether.
1. I agree to you that apt will not show new dependencies if gnome-core is not installed. "aptitude full-upgrade" may remove packages to fullfill dependencies and upgrade packages, whereas "aptitude safe-upgrade" may not, but both may install new packages to resolve dependencies

2. I think there will a different name like gnome3-core for that meta-package to avoid confusion and breakage

In my opinion meta-packages only make sense to ease the install of a bunch of packages. As the initial install of the debian system is done by the mint devs, there should be no need for that meta-package
oOarthurOo

Re: Lots of additional packages during update

Post by oOarthurOo »

[quote="dfx]1. I agree to you that apt will not show new dependencies if gnome-core is not installed. "aptitude full-upgrade" may remove packages to fullfill dependencies and upgrade packages, whereas "aptitude safe-upgrade" may not, but both may install new packages to resolve dependencies[/quote]

That sounds right.

Return to “LMDE Archive”