Newbie to LMDE Needs Some Assistance (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mads

Re: Newbie to LMDE Needs Some Assistance (Attention Seeley)

Post by mads »

craig10x wrote: # /dev/sda1 swap partition
UUID=98f7c9fa-3521-41f9-be80-c5de9249745b swap sw 0 0
Thanks. That is exactly what I thought.
In my previous post I wrote:
mads wrote:3) $ gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
Change your swap line to be like this (delete the old one).

Code: Select all
UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx swap swap sw 0 0
Compare the two. Do you see what you have omitted?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yep...the extra "swap" :lol:
wow...you're good...thanks so much...now i FINALLY have an active swap on here :)
I tip my "hat" to you mds... :wink:
Oh, here's a screen shot of it...use to say 0 out of 0 gibs....now the allocation is on there...
And i don't get any errors about it when LMDE is booting up as before...
mads

Post by mads »

Well done craig10x. :D
There is only one minor thing, but I guess we save it for seeley because I have
very limited knowledge about it. It is about the max size for swap. It is a complicated
discussion which I have never been interested to follow. I am sure seeley has some
advices about it.
But right now, enjoy your brand new swap partition, and your new skills in Linux. :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Actually, the reason i set it at 7.9 gib when i installed is because that is what the auto-installer in ubuntu and mint main (based on ubuntu) installer always set it at...I know some would consider that too big...

I'd still like to see the auto-install options on the LMDE installer in the near future, in case i should ever have to re-install in the future...but at least now i would know how to fix it... :wink:
Last edited by craig10x on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mads

Post by mads »

craig10x wrote:Thanks :D
Actually, the reason is set it at 7.9 gib when i installed is because that is what the auto-installer in ubuntu and mint main (based on ubuntu) installer always set it at...I know some would consider that too big...
OK, if auto-installer chooses this size as well, then It should be good. Just ignore my previous post then. :)
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Sorry, I had and have a problem with my hardware; my VAIO gave up the ghost and my last but one notebook Amilo only works now and then.
I have to wait until middle of May to decide what to do.
First, thank you, mads, for your help.
Concerning swap size: greater than RAM size (old rule: 1.5 *, but I think, factor 1.1 or even equal is enough).
Some experts are claiming that an oversized swap could thwart the system.
@ craig10x:
Your outputs are showing that you had made a fault (see my reply Mar 30, 12:59 pm) - the line concerning swap, as I mentioned, has to include after UUID: "swap swap sw" ; you had, as your output is showing: "swap sw", that means 1 x "swap" was lacking.
Okay, next, similar case I will write the hole line.
If you don't have further questions concerning the thread, please edit the first post, adding [solved] to the subject line.
seeley
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

No problem Seeley...i thought that might have been the case :wink:
Well, again i used 7.9 gib because that is the amount that the auto-installs on ubuntu and mint main (based on ubuntu) always set it up for...

No real problem for me, it's not like i am going to run out of hard drive space :lol:
LMDE is the only system i have or will be installing on my laptop...

Nice thing about mads solution though, is that should i ever need to re-install LMDE again i could use his method to fix the swap very quickly and easily on my own now...Though again, i hope by that point, Clem would have added auto-install options to LMDE..never had a problem getting a working swap on the auto-installs..worked fine right from the start...

Thanks again to both of you, Seeley and mads :)
mads

Post by mads »

craig10x wrote:Thanks again to both of you, Seeley and mads :)
No problem, I was only temporary here. Seeley did the most part. Thanks. :)
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Newbie to LMDE Needs Some Assistance (SOLVED)

Post by SaintDanBert »

As I understand this "defect" involved setting the wrong UUID into /etc/fstab resulting in file system confusion at boot time. Do I understand correctly?

Does this still happen during Mint-11 or -12 installs -- December 2011?

~~~ 0;-Dan
craig10x

Re: Newbie to LMDE Needs Some Assistance (SOLVED)

Post by craig10x »

No...it never happened with the main edition mints (like 10, 11, 12) because they are ubuntu based and use the ubuntu installer...it was only a problem that was encountered with LMDE because it doesn't use that installer...However, the last time i installed LMDE (which i no longer use) the problem had been fixed by Clem (that was the last released iso of LMDE)... :wink:

Hope that helps :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”