touchpad button configuration (no right click)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

touchpad button configuration (no right click)

Postby dwisewon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm

My 64 bit install went pretty smoothly, but my touchpad is driving me crazy. It's a new HP notebook with a synaptics touchpad where the touch sensitive area extends onto the buttons. At first I couldn't tap to click and didn't have the usual scrolling functionality. I installed the gsynaptics package which gave me the graphical settings to get scrolling and tap to click working but there's no button configuration and it acts as if I don't have a right click button. If I click the right side I get a normal left click, it's as if I have one giant left button. Any thoughts?
dwisewon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: touchpad button configuration (no right click)

Postby soapy138 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:00 am

not quite sure if its just a driver issue or what for why it doesnt work but you can get vertical and horizontal 2 finger scrolling, clicking above the left/right click area to right click and a few other features using xorg.conf, i'm in the process of making a how to. i'll let you know when i finish.
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tacoz on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:18 am

try "gpointing-device-settings" rather
tacoz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dwisewon on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:58 pm

soapy138 wrote:not quite sure if its just a driver issue or what for why it doesnt work but you can get vertical and horizontal 2 finger scrolling, clicking above the left/right click area to right click and a few other features using xorg.conf, i'm in the process of making a how to. i'll let you know when i finish.

I've been trying to follow the synaptics wiki which talks about editing xorg.conf, but I don't see this file in /etc/xorg/.
dwisewon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby soapy138 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 am

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=44871&start=0

thats how to creat a xorg.conf file.
i ended up finding a synaptics driver someone monkeyed with to make the touchpad work like a macbooks, i'm not @ my laptop atm but when i get home i'll find out what the driver is called and tell you.
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Postby soapy138 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 am

http://www.compass.com/synaptics/

i had this and one other driver installed, you'll have to get Alien to convert the rpm to deb.

i still cant find where i found the other driver :/ it might work with just this driver though
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Postby chyapay on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Hello everyone. I have an HP DV7-4272us Laptop and same feature appears to exist in Linux Mint 10 (Julia) 64bit. Don't know if it also exists in other Linux versions.

Firstly I thought that was a hardware issue, but after i booted up in DOS and running a VESA GUI partition manager (don't remember the exact name), I found out that everything works ok. Then I installed Windows 7 Home Premium along with the driver I got from hp.com - It works wonderfully.

Now I Installed Mint 10 Julia 64bit and on fresh install The only things working were one-finger moving and left-click (which was initiated by clicking on EITHER touchpad button).

Then, I installed a package named synaptics-dkms, that claims to enable "true multitouch". Restarted my PC, and felt a lot of difference: scrolling (both vertical and horisontal), double-finger detection, palm-detection. But the button configuration still sucks a lot. The same paradigm remained: both touchpad buttons are treated equally, as if it were just one button! Now, if i click on either of them with only one finger touching the touchpad, it apprehends it as a left-button click. But if I click on EITHER of them holding another finger at the same time on the touchpad, it treats it as a right-button click. Apparently, I cannot move windows and drag icons, cause when I press a button, trying to drag something, a contect menu opens. And this frustrates me a lot. I don't know what to do as there are no parameters in synaptics touchpad configuration. I also tried tpconfig tool but with no result. I suppose there must be another driver. Freaking DOS understands those two buttons normally. And Linux can't? Isn't it ridiculous, guys?

soapy138 - I tried your link and it doesn't work. Please give a valid one. Preferably a direct link to an amd64 deb file.
chyapay
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chyapay on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:22 pm

this is the photo of my poor touchpad
Attachments
HP-DV7-Touchpad.jpeg
HP-DV7-Touchpad.jpeg (15.98 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
chyapay
Level 1
Level 1

Postby soapy138 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:44 am

cscott.net/Projects/Synaptics/
new link, the site says to go to compass.com so thats why i posted it. you still have to convert the rpm. i have a hp dv7, ended up not messing with the xorg file, and my touchpad has single tap for left click, two finger tap for right, and double tap for grabbing/dropping and 2 finger scrolling. would like to get 3 finger functionality like macbook pros...
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Postby soapy138 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

went into package manager and searched synaptics then touchpad, here are the packages i have, and my touchpad has functionality as i described above.

synaptics
synaptics-dkms
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
tpconfig
libgpds0

*thought that might be useful
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Postby chyapay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 am

those drivers are old. the link u gave me just follows ovto a page with 1997-dated tpconfig program. its version on that page is 0.0.1, and we both have >=3.0 on our systems (u can look it up in synaptic package manager)

i mean, are there any other solutions? new solutions, which will enable using the right button on touch pads... because from wehat i have investigated, the Xorg input synaptics driver supports only left-click options, i.e. it doesn t even have any options for the physical right touchpad button. That is retarded, dudes.
chyapay
Level 1
Level 1

Postby soapy138 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 am

community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/4326

This is where i found that package i was talking about. hope it helps!
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions