choosing a window manager [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

choosing a window manager [solved]

Postby pampelmoose on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm new to LMDE (just installed it today), so this is perhaps a very newbie-ish question, but :
how do I get a choice of window managers at login?

I've installed the xfce meta-package (and I'm thinking of installing the kde packages). But when I log in, there's no option on the log-in screen to let me choose between gnome and xfce window managers (like there is using kdm). Is this a gdm characteristic, or is there some way of configuring gdm to give me a choice of window managers at login?

(Sort of related [why I'm not so crazy about gnome as a window manager] : is there a way in gnome (as there is under kde) to set the mouse to single-click under gnome? This double clicking business may be popular with some of those operating systems based in seattle suburbs, but as far as I'm concerned it's a bit of a nuisance.)
Last edited by pampelmoose on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pampelmoose
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: choosing a window manager

Postby ShexNivis on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:48 pm

After you chose the user and before you type in your password there should be on the bottom panel a combo box to chose the wm.

about double click: not sure exactly how it is in english but. Open up any folder. edit > preferences > behavior > single click to open items.
best torrent client ever: http://www.tixati.com
ShexNivis
Level 3
Level 3

Re: choosing a window manager [solved]

Postby pampelmoose on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am

those both worked fine...thanks a lot
pampelmoose
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions