KDE on LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

KDE on LMDE

Postby rc10b on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 am

I'm really impressed by LMDE, what a fantastic distro and Community, thanks for all your hard work Clem and team.

I prefer KDE so I've installed the kde-full package and have now set it as my default DE, bliss :D I'll gradually remove all gnome related packages that I don't want, but that will take some time.

I'd like to find out whether I would be missing anything important in my setup compared to an Official Mint iso release for LMDE using KDE, when it's released. Can anyone answer this question ?

Steve
rc10b
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: KDE on LMDE

Postby vincent on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:19 am

I suspect that the only changes would be in the default software selection...but if you want to know for certain, contact Boo. Or just wait until a KDE version of LMDE comes out, and use Synaptic/dpkg -l to get a list of software installed by default, if that's what you want.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: KDE on LMDE

Postby beli0135 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 am

LMDE is a bit better in this case then standard mint.
Use: apt-get install kde-full

however be prepared, it will not work 100%. There still will be a few annoying glitches.
1. GTK applications will look ugly (eg. firefox), no matter if you install gtk-qt-engine, qtcurve etc.. it's just too stupid to find its way around (wasn't designed for KDE - remember this)
2. Some things will crash, like some things in system settings. With each clean installation, another thing will break.

I dislike gnome, I dislike it very much... its retarded comparing to KDE. Words can't really express how much I despise it.
I despise it a lot!

.. but I am forced to use it now, and I am very unhappy because of it.

I have top-notch harware at the moment. Wireless is not supported in current kernel (in new 2.6.37 will be). So I am using Mint because it's easiest to install driver for it, and it is currently newest and the most polished distro.

If you are a KDE guy, there is only one answer: openSUSE (level of KDE polishness is unbelieveable, and cannot be found in any other KDE distro)
... but I still have to wait till march to have it.

Since Mint is my 2nd fav distro, I am using it, and I am using Gnome, because KDE doesnt work well on it.
Best regards,
Emil Beli

http://www.beli.ws/blog
beli0135
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions