Nautilus going crazy, keeps restarting...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Nautilus going crazy, keeps restarting...

Postby steelers1 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 am

Hi there,
For some strange reason, nautilus goes crazy when I try opening files over ftp with bluefish. Until my last update, this worked perfectly. Now, when trying open a file over ftp or "connecting to server" with nautilus, about a million of instances of "starting file manager" keep starting and starting all over again.

This is actually a well documented gnome-bug, however to me this only happens when I am trying to work over ftp...

Any hints? Thanks in advance!
steelers1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nautilus going crazy, keeps restarting...

Postby CiaW on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 pm

I would strongly suspect that it's an issue with xulrunner, because a while back I had something similar happen with xiphos (and I think they either have or are working to remove the xulrunner dependency for that package). You did mention it's a known bug. On a side note, I love that the lmde log file viewer lets you ctrl-f (find) things, some log file viewers don't have that option!

From my apt history.log I see I had a xulrunner update on 12/26 (that's when I did the update) to xulrunner 1.9.1.15-1

While that may (likely?) be the source of the issue, and perhaps your ftp or bluefish uses xulrunner, maybe try another ftp client to see if that works? I like FireFTP firefox add-on, or filezilla. There may also be a way to downgrade to a previous version of a package after an update, but I'm not sure what it is.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby steelers1 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:33 pm

pretty sure its not a xulrunner thing, i guess it must be something with gnome or nautilus...

weird thing: on my desktop seems to be the old automounted ftp drive (which was shown when I edited files with bluefish), however, this thing can not be deleted, renamed or whatever in anayway.

I just added a new user -> no problem opening ftp connections with nautilus or bluefish.

SO where could the problem be?
steelers1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oOarthurOo on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Try running it from a terminal and see if anything useful is spit out when you reproduce the bad behaviour.
oOarthurOo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions