(workaround available) Showing dependents in Synaptic

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Postby rtrev on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 am

In other distros, there is a drop-down in Synaptic which allows seeing not only the dependencies of a given package but also the dependents (and I think a couple of other choices.)

If I'm looking at a package and wondering if I need it, it's very handy to see not just what the package requires but also what else on the system may require the package. I was wondering why on earth I just got an update for apache2.2-bin. I have no reason to be running apache on this machine. I wanted to see what part of the system depended on this package, but then realized that functionality wasn't available in the LMDE Synaptic.

The drop-down bar is there, it just doesn't work. Does anyone know how to get it working?

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by rtrev on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Showing dependents in Synaptic

Postby dawgdoc on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Bob,

It should be working. I am using LMDE 2001009 with all level 1 - 3 updates, except for the 2 today, of which apache2.2 is one of them.

Here is a screenshot of the dependencies
apache2.2-bin_dependencies.png
apache2.2-bin_dependencies.png (45.54 KiB) Viewed 977 times

As far as dependent packages go, all were apache related packages except gnome-user-share. Here is it's description
gnome-user-share is a small package that allows easy user-level file sharing
via WebDAV or ObexFTP. The shared files are announced on the network
by Avahi.

I am not sure why you were unable to access this yourself. Unless one of the repositories was down when you checked all I know to suggest is use apt-get to repair broken packages or re-install synaptic.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 17 Cinnamon, LMDE
READING: Smoke Screen by Dick Francis
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby rtrev on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply!

It doesn't work on my 64-bit desktop, nor on my 32-bit Netbook. I reinstalled Synaptic, and I ran sudo apt-get check, there are no packages listed in Synaptic as broken, and both systems have been kept completely up-to-date. Hmm.

I'm drawing a blank.

Maybe someone else with the problem will check in and we can compare notes?

Appreciate your help!

Bob
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rtrev on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I just noticed some other things that may be pertinent. Note that this is occurring on two 32-bit systems and one 64-bit, none of which have had any changes made to them beyond installing some apps that I like (chrome-unstable, gftp, pan, Sylpheed, gmail-notifier).

Not only does the problem with Synaptic noted above occur on all three installs, but I've also just noticed that if I go to "Custom Filters" and then pick "Missing Recommends" there are a ton of them. A "ton" is approximately 100. :D

Some of these are kind of strange, like it says I'm missing gdm. Another was the apt-xapian-index. Others include fast-user-switch-applet, fcron, fetchmail, and exim4.

I'm thinking this list isn't completely correct, as I have a nice Gnome desktop even though gdm is "missing," and I presume that's because I have gdm3 instead.

If these other things are truly recommended and not installed, I'll repeat that I haven't removed anything. They must have been missing from the start (on three distinct installations). Can anyone confirm that they also see a bunch of these "Missing Recommends"?

Thanks,
Bob
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dawgdoc on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm

The only missing recommends on my laptop are gdm and fast-user-switch-applet. Like you I have gdm3 installed, I believe this is default. Now if I look at Upgradeable (Upstream) I have no packages there, even though I have not installed any of the level 4 or 5 updates and can see them in Update Manager

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby rtrev on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Ah, I finally figured out what was going on here. Well, at least I've got a workaround.

I always set my Synaptic preferences to "show package properties in the main window."

When I do that, the drop-down bar for the dependencies / dependents doesn't work.

If I instead just click on the properties box, then it works!

Go figure. Minor bug in Synaptic, I guess.
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (workaround available) Showing dependents in Synaptic

Postby dawgdoc on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:47 am

I am glad you found your workaround, it never occurred to me to think along those lines.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (workaround available) Showing dependents in Synaptic

Postby rtrev on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 am

dawgdoc wrote:I am glad you found your workaround, it never occurred to me to think along those lines.

I was really puzzled by this, especially as nobody jumped in with a "me too."

I ran the live CD, and it worked, I installed, and it worked. I tried the first thing I do with any installation, which is to set some preferences in Synaptic, and it broke. I must be the only LMDE user who sets that particular option. :D

Thanks again for your replies.. they confirmed that it worked for others and that it should work.

Bob
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions