Need insight on Compiz and errors

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Need insight on Compiz and errors

Postby RandomAccessUser on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:34 am

I've been running LMDE for about a week now and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm kind of new to GNU\Linux, but I know my way around pretty well. I had a few issues upon installation, and I seem to have gotten them fixed, but I wanted a little information as to what caused the problem, and if my solution was correct.

Okay, first things first, my computer is a prebuilt Dell Inspiron 531s
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro
2 Gigs of ram
plenty of disk space

I started off by installing the proprietary ATI drivers and got them working without a hitch. I was noticing tearing with videos, and I was experiencing problems with flash. I tried many different video players and tried different video output settings (including recommended settings for Compiz). Nothing solved the window & video tearing. Any time I'd view a video on youtube, it would play correctly until I would go to full screen. My display would cut out and only the top 5% of my screen would display anything and it was all squashed together. I'd have to hard reset to get the video working again.

As far as what I did to fix these issues, I consulted the all knowing google and set to work. I started by reinstalling the open source ATI drivers, no dice. I used 3 different versions of flash (and finally settled on the "square" release), still no dice. I had tried editing every setting that had been recommended as a fix and still found nothing to fix the problem. The last idea I found was to install Mutter (thereby replacing Compiz as the window manager I'd assume) and suddenly everything is working absolutely perfect and a bit snappier as well. No more video tearing and full screen flash. :mrgreen: I edited .gnomerc and now I'm running Mutter on login. Was this a good option, and is anyone else using Mutter instead of Compiz?

Is there an issue with Compiz compositing and ATI cards/OpenGL? I frankly don't know a whole lot about Compiz or DEs & WMs in general, but I was curious as to why this occurred. Maybe a more well-versed Linux user can chime in with his/her expertise or ideas? Hopefully my plight can help someone who is experiencing the same issue.

Thanks.
RandomAccessUser
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions