Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi.

I don't know if i am in the right place but i am on ldme so here goes.
how do i create a url to a picture on my hard drive so that i can use it as my avatar. so far everything that i have tried says that it is incorrect.
i have tried /home/Pictures/....jpeg , that is on place
i have also tried /media/f2e60161............./gordon/Pictures/........./ .jpeg that is on sdb1
nothing works
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abercrombieande

Re: Avatar

Post by abercrombieande »

avatar for this forum? Make sure you have the right location, right click on the file and it should give you the path. The rest would just be the file name and extension. Be careful Linux is case sensitive.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Other options include storing the image on an image storage site such as imageshack, picasa, imagebin, etc. and linking or embedding from there.

I actually store the image I use in Dropbox and place the image in the public folder and use the Public Link in the forum's user control panel.

These suggestions avoid trouble if your ISP has you on a dynamic IP address.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

once again Hi all.

Well I have tried several time to get my avatar on but still with no luck. I have got it to work in open office with no trouble with their browse option and have even copied and pasted it into the url box in the profile section of this forum but it does not work.
dawdog. i have no idea what Dropbox is or where to find it or whether I have a dynamic IP address. my provider is AOL through a netgear router
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

It is pretty much guaranteed you have a dynamic IP address. You have to pay extra each month for a static one, and one of the reasons to have one is hosting a web site where your server address has to remain constant so others can find you.

I do not think sharing from your computer to the forum is an option for an avatar. You can share an image for an individual post, like uploading an attachment to place a screenshot.

Dropbox is an application, you can find it in Package Manager/Synaptic, which synchronizes a folder with it's sub-folders with an online, 'cloud,' storage site. It will allow you sync files between several computers if you set up the same Dropbox account on each. It has a Public folder from which you can share links to files so others can see that file. It uses 256 bit encryption. The base 2Gb account is no cost.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Just upload it to imgur.com and use the url from there.
Dar-es-Salaam

Re: Avatar [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi dawdog

thanks for that much appreciated, as you can see downloaded installed and working :D :D
dawgdoc

Re: Avatar [ SOLVED ]

Post by dawgdoc »

Great job!

Return to “LMDE Archive”