Desktop effects and nouveau graphic driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Desktop effects and nouveau graphic driver

Postby Joakim_W on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi, new forum member here :)

I've installed LMDE and really enjoy the distro as it is, but coming from Fedora 14 I've been using the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental provided by nouveau. I can't find it for debian and want to use compiz on my system, so my question is how can I install 3D support using this driver? I have a Nvidia graphic card, but working on a LMDE remix for my family and friends, so want to use a graphic driver that works with all graphic cards and can provide 3D support.

Code: Select all
joakim@lmde ~ $ lsmod | grep nouveau
nouveau               314892  2
ttm                    33386  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         18301  1 nouveau
drm                   112088  4 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            3497  1 nouveau
i2c_core               12696  6 nouveau,videodev,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_i801
button                  3598  1 nouveau

Code: Select all
joakim@lmde ~ $ lspci | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] (rev a1)

Maybe that helps? When I go to system - preference I can't find where to enable desktop effects. Is this feature removed from LMDE? Usually it's in appearance - desktop effects.

Edit: Found this thread viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55165 and followed the instructions. Got a dark screen on login and compiz still doesnt work. How can I go back to default graphic settings? I can live without compiz for now, just want a working, stable Linux system for once.
Joakim_W
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions