hardware driver Ubuntu and LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
denvermint

hardware driver Ubuntu and LMDE

Post by denvermint »

Greetings,

Ubuntu has a feature (can't recall name) that will search for drivers (proprietary, I think) and install them very easily. This Ubuntu feature was of immense importance in getting my @$#%$ broadcom wireless working on a laptop.

Is this feature in LMDE or the Mint main edition?

Thank you
Steve.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: hardware driver Ubuntu and LMDE

Post by JasonLG »

denvermint wrote:Greetings,

Ubuntu has a feature (can't recall name) that will search for drivers (proprietary, I think) and install them very easily. This Ubuntu feature was of immense importance in getting my @$#%$ broadcom wireless working on a laptop.

Is this feature in LMDE or the Mint main edition?

Thank you
Steve.
It's in the main version but not LMDE.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

No, but there's a post at the beginning of the LMDE sub-forum with a very clear step-by-step on how to install the STA Broadcom driver. If you print it out and follow step by step, while connected by ethernet just like you have to be in Mint, it's perfect and not at all difficult, just a bit different. If that's the only hangup give it a go in a separate partition. You'll be surprised how easy it is.
denvermint

Post by denvermint »

TBABill wrote:No, but there's a post at the beginning of the LMDE sub-forum with a very clear step-by-step on how to install the STA Broadcom driver. If you print it out and follow step by step, while connected by ethernet just like you have to be in Mint, it's perfect and not at all difficult, just a bit different. If that's the only hangup give it a go in a separate partition. You'll be surprised how easy it is.
Bill,

I will re-read that howto.

In the mean time, I bought a compatible USB wifi adaptor, and all is gold. I just plugged it in, and Debian Squeeze picked it up. No config required.

I will try this new USB adaptor in LMDE before I attempt to mess with my internal wifi.

Thanks for the reply
steve.
denvermint

Post by denvermint »

I can confirm that the following USB wireless adaptor is Linux Mint Debian Edition LMDE 64 bit compatible, Debian Squeeze 64 bit compatible (with no config required to get it working):

TRENDnet 54Mbps Wireless G USB Adaptor model TEW-424UB

It's available lot's of places, including Newegg and Micro Center.

Hope this helps someone who is wrestling with getting wifi to work.

Steve.

Update 20 Jan 2011:
After more experience and testing, I do not recommend this adaptor anymore.
The primary problem is poor speed, and the second smaller problem is quirky connections.
However, the card does work without any config or driver install.

Update 24 Jan 2011:
This adaptor works perfectly with Aptosid. Great throughput and no disconnects.
I am not sure, but there maybe interaction with these elements: distribution, specific wireless access point (like different Starbucks or routers).
The bottom line is I am getting inconsistent results. Not really sure why.

Return to “LMDE Archive”