Will changes be available for already installed systems?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Will changes be available for already installed systems?

Postby psych1610 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:46 pm

I've been away from Linux Mint for a while now, having used Windows and then back to a Lucid install. I was reading through the LMDE respin thread (x3, I guess) and heard a lot of mention of wanting different tools for installing and configuring display drivers, a remade backup tool, and a bunch of others that sound great!

I've been considering installing LMDE because it sounds like a sexier, easier, Debian, but I was wondering if the changes made in the next respin would be back ported (I guess) to the current version up? I understand that libraries and apps are continuously updated but couldn't find a definitive answer as to whether the tools would be. If not, would I just be better off waiting for the respin?
psych1610
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Will changes be available for already installed systems?

Postby gotjazz on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 pm

well completely new tools would surely pop up in the main meta package. so if you haven't removed that they'd appear. Although I'd hold my excitement about new tools atm - the thread you mentioned is atm just about bouncing around ideas. At least I can't remember having read anything definitive yet....
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby psych1610 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Yea, admittedly I just skipped around and maybe got a little over enthusiastic about it.

My Lucid installation is feeling kind of messed up so I need a change and I think Debian is it. Either that or Arch at this point I think, and I've become so used to .debs I don't know if I want to ween myself off of it just yet.
psych1610
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am

I think you can feel confident that you will get all the new stuff via updates if you choose to install LMDE now. :wink:

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby sgosnell on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:39 am

Once you have it installed you don't need to worry about a new installer. It's a rolling release, so if you just do the updates regularly you'll have the newest everything, regardless of what additions are made.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby psych1610 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Oh, I forgot to update this. I took the plunge and am having a blast! A bunch of little niggles to work out, but that's just it. Small niggles. Can't ask for more.
psych1610
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions