SSD/fstab

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kpswalin

SSD/fstab

Post by kpswalin »

Very happy with LMDE since the switch from MintX. Thanks guys for all your work! :D

I have a question about LMDE + SSD + 2.6.32-5-686 + fstab

1st, it is my understanding that 'TRIM support' is only available after 2.6.33 based on this @ Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
How can I upgrade to kernel 2.6.33 or higher within the Mint or Debian proper sources?

2nd, here is my current fstab. Does anyone see issue with the current configuration? Does it matter that I have noatime & nodiratime, or should I only have one or the other?

Code: Select all

# <file system>         <mount point>           <type>          <options>                                               <dump>  <pass>
proc                    /proc                   proc            nodev,noexec,nosuid                                     0       0
/dev/sda1               /boot                   ext4            noatime,discard,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro            0       1
/dev/sda2               /                       ext4            noatime,discard,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro            0       1
/dev/sda3               /home                   ext4            noatime,discard,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro            0       1
tmpfs                   /tmp                    tmpfs           defaults,nodev,nosuid,mode=1777                         0       0
tmpfs                   /var/tmp                tmpfs           defaults,nodev,nosuid,mode=1777                         0       0
tmpfs                   /var/lock               tmpfs           defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec,mode=1777,size=10m         0       0
tmpfs                   /var/run                tmpfs           defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec,mode=0755,size=10m         0       0
EXTRAS: Other mods I have made are below, will they help make a difference or am I wasting my time:

echo noop > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

#Add the following line at the end of the /etc/sysctl.conf file
vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

#Add the following line at the end of the /etc/rc.local file before exit 0
hdparm -W1 /dev/sda
Force Firefox to use RAM as cache only
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=1088725

Thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I do not use a swap partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: SSD/fstab

Post by seeley »

Hi!
To see the options of "fstab" ->

man mount
e.g.:
noatime
Do not update inode access times on this filesystem (e.g, for
faster access on the news spool to speed up news servers).
seeley
vincent

Post by vincent »

1. If you don't want to compile your own kernel (which isn't all that hard anyways), you can simply install the Liquorix kernel, a custom desktop-oriented kernel for Debian-based distros. See here: http://liquorix.net/

2. I would strongly recommend that you use UUID's to refer to each partition, instead of /dev paths.

sudo blkid
lets you easily find the UUID's of your partitions if you don't know them.

Also, noatime implies nodiratime. So you actually only need noatime in your fstab.
kpswalin

Post by kpswalin »

Thanks for the reply seeley. I am familiar with most of the options, well referenced here too:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fs ... me_options

Can't find much guidance on whether listing more than one really matters though?
kpswalin

Post by kpswalin »

Thanks Vincent, that is exactly what I was after! Thoughts on any of my other mods?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I recently got my hands on Crucial RealSSD C300 256gb and I must say, that it makes a big difference. I read a lot recently about how to optimize Linux for SSDs and it seems that you already made all the necessery tweaks, that I know of. I did not put Firefox cache to RAM, because I don't want it to be lost on reboot.
vincent

Post by vincent »

kpswalin wrote:Thanks Vincent, that is exactly what I was after! Thoughts on any of my other mods?
noatime is likely the only setting that may give you a slightly noticeable boost in speed. (http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148) I'm unsure of those other tweaks you mention, but I doubt that they'll provide any noticeable gain in performance; I'm also unsure of any potential side effects.
kpswalin

Post by kpswalin »

I have read about some folks having wireless issues with the Liquorix kernel. Is there a good guide that you know about which covers compiling your own kernel in LMDE? I have some familiarity with Gentoo, but have yet to compile my own kernel in Debian.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I've seen some people claim wireless issues with the liquorix kernel, but I haven't seen any. If you do have issues, just boot from your current kernel and remove it. Older kernels aren't removed when you install a new one, you have to do that manually, and I think it's grossly negligent to remove a working kernel before insuring that the new kernel works as it should, and I always keep at least two kernels installed, just in case. It's only a few MB of disk space, not really worth worrying about. Installing new kernels is actually one of the safer things you can do, because it doesn't really affect much else, and you can always boot to an older kernel which you know works.
kpswalin

Post by kpswalin »

I'll give Liquorix a shot then. My wireless signal appears slightly weak anyway, maybe this will fix that! :lol: Thanks for all the input.

Return to “LMDE Archive”