My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi,

I installed LMDE 64 bit a week ago or so and I has been very satisfied with it. It feels very smooth and good looking compared to my former OS, Mint 7. And the updated repositories are just great and actually my main reason for upgrading as Mint 7 worked very well for me.

One thing is bothering me, though. My Lenovo T500 laptop is getting very hot and the batteri life is poor. This was not a big issue before. With Mint 7 it got warm, but not really hot. Now I have to sit with a pillow on my lap to avoid getting fried :-)

What could be the cause of this and how can I resolve it?

Thanks,
Martin
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby TBABill on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Have you installed the driver for your video card, if it takes a proprietary driver? Have you run the command TOP in a terminal to see if something is pushing your CPU to 100% or close to it? Other things to check is that your CPU Frequency is properly governed. I think the default setting is ondemand, which drops you to about 50% CPU speed until demand is higher, then it automatically jumps as needed. You can check what it's set to by
Code: Select all
cpufreq-info
in a terminal. If it says within quotes anything but ondemand, it's possible your system doesn't support frequency scaling or the setting is incorrect.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:02 pm
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby willie42 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 pm

are you using 32 bit or 64 bit? LMDE
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
User avatar
willie42
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Oak Ridge, TN USA

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

TBABill wrote:Have you installed the driver for your video card, if it takes a proprietary driver? Have you run the command TOP in a terminal to see if something is pushing your CPU to 100% or close to it? Other things to check is that your CPU Frequency is properly governed. I think the default setting is ondemand, which drops you to about 50% CPU speed until demand is higher, then it automatically jumps as needed. You can check what it's set to by
Code: Select all
cpufreq-info
in a terminal. If it says within quotes anything but ondemand, it's possible your system doesn't support frequency scaling or the setting is incorrect.


I use htop and that reports nothing unusual.

The video driver could be an issue. I think I remember I installed a proprietary driver on Mint 7 but the system was so kind to suggest the installation using the program "hardware drivers". I do not see a similar program in LMDE, so how do I install the driver?

Is this setting correct?

Code: Select all
sudo cpufreq-info | grep ondemand

  available cpufreq governors: conservative, powersave, userspace, ondemand, performance
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, powersave, userspace, ondemand, performance
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use


willie42: It is 64 bit (which I actually wrote in my first post ;-)
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby willie42 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:02 pm

sorry I missed that part. :oops: I heard that running Liquorix Kernel helps control the heat factor if you are interested

http://liquorix.net/

I am running this Kernel and My system runs really smoothe
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
User avatar
willie42
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Oak Ridge, TN USA

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby sumski on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 am

marlar wrote:
The video driver could be an issue. I think I remember I installed a proprietary driver on Mint 7 but the system was so kind to suggest the installation using the program "hardware drivers". I do not see a similar program in LMDE, so how do I install the driver?


i have an ATI card and without proprietary drivers temerature is ~10 degrees higher

if you too have ATI then try this:
http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
Acer Extensa 5630G - Core2Duo T5800 2GHz , 4 GB ram, Ati Mobility 3650.
OpenSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.3
Debian Sid KDE 4.7.1/2
User avatar
sumski
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby tinca on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:08 am

marlar,

running a laptop with a pillow underneath it is guaranteed to make it run hot, as the pillow will severely restrict restrict its air flow.

I know that you said that it was already running hot, but still loose the pillow.

Best regards Keith
Case Antec 900 | Motherboard Abit ip35 Pro | CPU Q6600 (GO) | PSU Zippy P5L-6720P | Graphic Card XFX 7300 GS | Cooler Corsair T50 water cooled cpu | Ram 2x1GB sticks | Monitor Samsung Syncmaster 323t
tinca
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 am
Location: England U.K.

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:42 am

tinca wrote:running a laptop with a pillow underneath it is guaranteed to make it run hot, as the pillow will severely restrict restrict its air flow.


Yes, I know. I only grab the pillow when I can't stand the heat any longer, and if I have to sit for a prolonged period, I actually have a "laptop tray" with a soft cushion and a hard top. I bought that for my old laptop which as it aged got hotter and hotter and eventually was a great subsitute for a coffee warmer if I turned it upside down :-)

I will see if I can find a driver for my video card. Maybe that helps.
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby wayne128 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:09 am

Sometimes, it get hotter because of dust collected over time and prevent proper ventilation.
Perhaps check and clean those dust also.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:11 am

wayne128 wrote:Sometimes, it get hotter because of dust collected over time and prevent proper ventilation.
Perhaps check and clean those dust also.


It is only 2 month old so that is hardly the cause ;-)
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby xircon on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 am

This is going to be a long post!

I suffer from this problem, my toaster :) (Dell Inspiron N5010 Core i5, ATI mobility HD5000) is relatively new and runs very hot. Along with the usual advice about keeping the vents clear:

Check cpufreq is loaded (mine wasn't) I have sudo set up:

Code: Select all
 sudo lsmod | grep cpuf
cpufreq_stats           2659  0
cpufreq_userspace       1992  0
cpufreq_conservative     5162  0
acpi_cpufreq            5571  1
cpufreq_powersave        902  0
processor              29935  5 acpi_cpufreq


If you don't get something similar:
Code: Select all
nano /etc/default/cpufreqd


Mine looks like:
Code: Select all
 cat nano /etc/default/cpufreqd
cat: nano: No such file or directory
# Cpufreqd startup configuration

# CPU kernel module.
# Leave empty if you wish to load the modules another way,
# or if CPUFreq support for your cpu is built in.
CPUFREQ_CPU_MODULE="acpi-cpufreq"

# Governor modules.
# A list separated by spaces. They are needed by cpufreqd
# to load your policies. The init script can automatically
# try to load them. Leave empty to disable loading governor
# modules at all, use "auto" to let the script do the job.
CPUFREQ_GOV_MODULES="auto"


I had to add the line CPUFREQ_CPU_MODULE="acpi-cpufreq" but yours may be different, I had to Google.

Reboot and then run

Code: Select all
sudo cpufreq-set -g powersave


There is a gnome panel / avant-window-navigator applet that can control this.

Finally:

Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/cpufreqd.conf


and play with the values, mine currently looks like:
Code: Select all
# this is a comment
# see CPUFREQD.CONF(5) manpage for a complete reference
#
# Note: ondemand/conservative Profiles are disabled because
#       they are not available on many platforms.

[General]
pidfile=/var/run/cpufreqd.pid
poll_interval=2
verbosity=4
#enable_remote=1
#remote_group=root
[/General]

#[acpi]
#acpid_socket=/var/run/acpid.socket
#[/acpi]

#[nforce2_atxp1]
#vcore_path=/some/path
#vcore_default=1500
#[/nforce2_atxp1]

#[sensors_plugin]
#sensors_conf=/some/file
#[/sensors_plugin]

#[Profile]
#name=On Demand High
#minfreq=40%
#maxfreq=100%
#policy=ondemand
#[/Profile]
#
#[Profile]
#name=On Demand Low
#minfreq=20%
#maxfreq=80%
#policy=ondemand
#[/Profile]

[Profile]
name=Performance High
minfreq=60%
maxfreq=60%
policy=performance
#exec_post=echo 8 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
[/Profile]

[Profile]
name=Performance Low
minfreq=50%
maxfreq=50%
policy=performance
[/Profile]

[Profile]
name=Powersave High
minfreq=50%
maxfreq=50%
policy=powersave
[/Profile]

[Profile]
name=Powersave Low
minfreq=40%
maxfreq=40%
policy=powersave
[/Profile]

#[Profile]
#name=Conservative High
#minfreq=33%
#maxfreq=70%
#policy=conservative
#[/Profile]
#
#[Profile]
#name=Conservative Low
#minfreq=0%
#maxfreq=66%
#policy=conservative
#[/Profile]

##
# Basic states
##
# when AC use performance mode
[Rule]
name=AC Rule
ac=on                    # (on/off)
#profile=Performance High #Powersave Low
profile=Powersave Low
[/Rule]
 
# stay in performance mode for the first minutes
[Rule]
name=AC Off - High Power
ac=off                   # (on/off)
battery_interval=70-100
#exec_post=echo 5 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
profile=Performance Low
[/Rule]

# conservative mode when not AC
[Rule]
name=AC Off - Medium Battery
ac=off                   # (on/off)
battery_interval=30-70
#exec_post=echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
profile=Powersave High
[/Rule]

# conservative mode when not AC
[Rule]
name=AC Off - Low Battery
ac=off                   # (on/off)
battery_interval=0-30
#exec_post=echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
profile=Powersave Low
[/Rule]

##
# Special Rules
##
# CPU Too hot!
[Rule]
name=CPU Too Hot
acpi_temperature=55-100
cpu_interval=50-100
profile=Performance Low
[/Rule]

# use performance mode if I'm watching a movie
# I don't care for batteries!
# But don't heat too much.
[Rule]
name=Movie Watcher
programs=xine,mplayer,gmplayer
battery_interval=0-100
acpi_temperature=0-60
cpu_interval=0-100
profile=Performance High
[/Rule]


This is the sum of my knowledge!!!!

Steve
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
User avatar
xircon
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:59 am
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby TBABill on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:26 am

marlar wrote:
TBABill wrote:Have you installed the driver for your video card, if it takes a proprietary driver? Have you run the command TOP in a terminal to see if something is pushing your CPU to 100% or close to it? Other things to check is that your CPU Frequency is properly governed. I think the default setting is ondemand, which drops you to about 50% CPU speed until demand is higher, then it automatically jumps as needed. You can check what it's set to by
Code: Select all
cpufreq-info
in a terminal. If it says within quotes anything but ondemand, it's possible your system doesn't support frequency scaling or the setting is incorrect.


I use htop and that reports nothing unusual.

The video driver could be an issue. I think I remember I installed a proprietary driver on Mint 7 but the system was so kind to suggest the installation using the program "hardware drivers". I do not see a similar program in LMDE, so how do I install the driver?

Is this setting correct?

Code: Select all
sudo cpufreq-info | grep ondemand

  available cpufreq governors: conservative, powersave, userspace, ondemand, performance
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, powersave, userspace, ondemand, performance
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use


willie42: It is 64 bit (which I actually wrote in my first post ;-)


Yes, that's the correct output. Ondemand is set by default and appears to still be set on your configuration. I would lean toward the video driver as a best guess. Using the open source drivers (I believe) still throttles GPU's to 100% regardless of the use/non-use of the machine. I have not had to get an nVidia or ATi driver going on LMDE, but you can look up the Debian Wiki and Debian forum for how to do so if there is nothing on the Mint forum to guide you. Configuring the video driver should be identical to Debian AFAIK.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:02 pm
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:25 pm

I have downloaded the latest ATI driver for my card.

If the installations fails and screws up my system, how do I recover the existing driver? Should I do anything in advance to facilitate that?
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby jimmm33 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I had a problem with my T61 getting hot. It turned out to be the fingerprint reader.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_en ... ng_too_hot

I also open up the machine and disconnected to fingerprint reader cable.
jimmm33
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby Beardedragon on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Liquorix runs 10 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than 2.6.32, the current Kernel in both LMDE and Saline OS.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 260@3.2Ghz, 3GB RAM, 640GB HD
Debian 7.1 Wheezy 3,2,0-4 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
LMDE 3.10.5-1 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
SalineOS 2.0 3.2.0-4 Xfce 4.8 AMD64
User avatar
Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

jimmm33 wrote:I had a problem with my T61 getting hot. It turned out to be the fingerprint reader.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_en ... ng_too_hot

I also open up the machine and disconnected to fingerprint reader cable.


The article you link to mentions the fingerprint reader itself getting very hot. Here it is the left side of the laptop. So I guess it is not that.
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby Beardedragon on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 am

marlar wrote:
jimmm33 wrote:I had a problem with my T61 getting hot. It turned out to be the fingerprint reader.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_en ... ng_too_hot

I also open up the machine and disconnected to fingerprint reader cable.


The article you link to mentions the fingerprint reader itself getting very hot. Here it is the left side of the laptop. So I guess it is not that.

"If you Look under your computer you will see the air vent there, that is where your CPU fan is, keep it clean of lint and dust. That is also where the temperature sensor is.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 260@3.2Ghz, 3GB RAM, 640GB HD
Debian 7.1 Wheezy 3,2,0-4 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
LMDE 3.10.5-1 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
SalineOS 2.0 3.2.0-4 Xfce 4.8 AMD64
User avatar
Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 am

While this is often the cause, it is not in my case. The laptop is only 2 months old and the problem has been there since installing LMDE:
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby Beardedragon on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm

marlar wrote:While this is often the cause, it is not in my case. The laptop is only 2 months old and the problem has been there since installing LMDE:

There have been several suggestions here, try Google for more. I know the Liquorix Kernel works.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 260@3.2Ghz, 3GB RAM, 640GB HD
Debian 7.1 Wheezy 3,2,0-4 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
LMDE 3.10.5-1 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
SalineOS 2.0 3.2.0-4 Xfce 4.8 AMD64
User avatar
Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 am

Re: My laptop is getting hot with LMDE

Postby marlar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks, but I am just a bit scared of playing with the kernel. Can I undo a kernel upgrade if it goes wrong?
marlar
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests