LMDE: "unable to start settings manager "gnome-settings-daem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: LMDE: "unable to start settings manager "gnome-settings-

Postby amina on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Well I chose the "best" time to think this may be resolved....
Today I upgraded everything, all the xorg-related stuff, and again, the same thing at boot :(
Only difference, now I get no message at all when I start gnome-settings-daemon manually, and of course, the settings come back.
amina
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Silent Warrior on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:44 pm

I had this issue too, but the issue has since gone away. In between the issue appearing and seeming to resolve itself, I had both booted into KDE and done some updates before booting into Gnome and getting hit with this. I might have done some more updating, but upon a reboot, no more problem. Is this still a problem for you guys?
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Postby amina on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:16 pm

For me, it is not a constant problem but one that is annoying exactly because you never know when it will happen.

I left Ubuntu for this very reason, things just happened randomly (at least it seemed so). They never caused any serious problem but I had a feeling of instability.
Most of these problems disappeared atfer switching to LMDE, but this is one that reminds me of them. Of course I would not change the distro just because of this, but I would be happy to know that the desktop will look the same when I turn the PC on as it looked when I switched it off.

I only use Gnome and default repos, but it definitely has something to do with xorg packages. Also the first and the second time I had this issue was directly after xorg-related updates. The first time it went away after I downgraded and pinned the video driver I use (xserver-xorg-video-intel) but then I updated all other packages beginning with "xorg" and next day problem was there again. Then I changed the value of the gconf-key to rgb and problem seemed to be solved for more than 2 weeks. Until now, when I again updated xorg-packages and it did not took one day for gnome-settings-daemon to fail to start.
EDIT Apr 13: again...

I know this issue is not serious enough for a thorough investigation and we'll probably never find out the root cause, but still annoying...
amina
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rufong on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:51 pm

resolved for me by updating this morning.
i use smxi to dist-upgrade, i also have liquorix repos enabled.
2.6.37-5.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 25 03:08:16 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
NICE to see my theme back, freakin HATED the gray windoze look!
now i'm beginning to understand the meaning of rolling release..
rufong
Level 2
Level 2

Postby RavanH on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:42 am

Bummer :( it happened again today... But this time, when I try to start gnome-settings-daemon in terminal, the message is different:

Code: Select all
ravanhagen@packard-bell:~$ /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
ravanhagen@packard-bell:~$
** (gnome-settings-daemon:3093): WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.

(copy-pasted so no, the blank terminal line and the 'the them' in the message are no typos)

After this, the gnome-settings-daemon is started and my theme returns to normal but... now my touchpad is no longer working ;(

5 days ago the packages gdm3 and mint-x-theme (the theme I am using) were updated.

Mint is driving me NUTS !
RavanH
Level 2
Level 2

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions