LMDE: "unable to start settings manager "gnome-settings-daem

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
amina

Re: LMDE: "unable to start settings manager "gnome-settings-

Post by amina »

Well I chose the "best" time to think this may be resolved....
Today I upgraded everything, all the xorg-related stuff, and again, the same thing at boot :(
Only difference, now I get no message at all when I start gnome-settings-daemon manually, and of course, the settings come back.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

I had this issue too, but the issue has since gone away. In between the issue appearing and seeming to resolve itself, I had both booted into KDE and done some updates before booting into Gnome and getting hit with this. I might have done some more updating, but upon a reboot, no more problem. Is this still a problem for you guys?
amina

Post by amina »

For me, it is not a constant problem but one that is annoying exactly because you never know when it will happen.

I left Ubuntu for this very reason, things just happened randomly (at least it seemed so). They never caused any serious problem but I had a feeling of instability.
Most of these problems disappeared atfer switching to LMDE, but this is one that reminds me of them. Of course I would not change the distro just because of this, but I would be happy to know that the desktop will look the same when I turn the PC on as it looked when I switched it off.

I only use Gnome and default repos, but it definitely has something to do with xorg packages. Also the first and the second time I had this issue was directly after xorg-related updates. The first time it went away after I downgraded and pinned the video driver I use (xserver-xorg-video-intel) but then I updated all other packages beginning with "xorg" and next day problem was there again. Then I changed the value of the gconf-key to rgb and problem seemed to be solved for more than 2 weeks. Until now, when I again updated xorg-packages and it did not took one day for gnome-settings-daemon to fail to start.
EDIT Apr 13: again...

I know this issue is not serious enough for a thorough investigation and we'll probably never find out the root cause, but still annoying...
rufong

Post by rufong »

resolved for me by updating this morning.
i use smxi to dist-upgrade, i also have liquorix repos enabled.
2.6.37-5.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 25 03:08:16 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
NICE to see my theme back, freakin HATED the gray Windows look!
now i'm beginning to understand the meaning of rolling release..
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Bummer :( it happened again today... But this time, when I try to start gnome-settings-daemon in terminal, the message is different:

Code: Select all

ravanhagen@packard-bell:~$ /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
ravanhagen@packard-bell:~$ 
** (gnome-settings-daemon:3093): WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.
(copy-pasted so no, the blank terminal line and the 'the them' in the message are no typos)

After this, the gnome-settings-daemon is started and my theme returns to normal but... now my touchpad is no longer working ;(

5 days ago the packages gdm3 and mint-x-theme (the theme I am using) were updated.

Mint is driving me NUTS !

Return to “LMDE Archive”