Configuring audio for playback through two outputs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Configuring audio for playback through two outputs?

Postby WelshPixie on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am

Hey folks,

I've recently upgraded to Debian Mint and like it loads.

However, one thing I can't for the life of me figure out how to get working - I have my speakers and headphones both plugged in to my sound card and like sound to be played back through both at the same time.

I was running pulse audio but it was causing audio issues in Skype and so I've completely removed it and now I'm running through Gnome ALSA. My device options are HDA Intel (ALSA Mixer) or Realtek ALC883 (OSS) - the latter of which is my soundcard. I don't have a 'headphone' option in either of those two lists. I've read something about needing to 'pair' the headphones with the machine - if this is something more involved than simply plugging the headphones in, then I'll need guidance with this also.

If I open the GNOME ALSA mixer from the menu, I have an option for Headphone that's ticked. If I untick it, sound stops playing through the speakers.

I'll provide more info if you tell me what I need to add :)

Thanks!
WelshPixie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions