TV Woes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

TV Woes

Postby k4ever on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm using LMDE 32bit on a Gateway 7510GX laptop, WinTV-HVR 850 usb TV tuner, ATI Radeon x600, PulseAudio, system is up to date as of now. For some reason tvtime has been locking up my system lately. I don't know why. It was working well when I first install LMDE. Now, it will not tune unless I have the sound looped back (never did that before) and it locks the whole system up after a couple of minutes of running.

I've tried to using Zapping as an alternative, but it won't tune the channels (AFN-Europe over a cable) no matter which option I pick (us-cable-hrc or us-cable-irc). Me-TV won't tune the channels either. I really love tvtime. Is anyone else having a problem with tvtime. Will someone help me figure out what's wrong? Also is there a way to get tvtime to output it's channel list into a file type that other tv tuner programs could understand?
k4ever
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: TV Woes

Postby ukbrian on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:01 am

I got me-tv with my usb stick working using this link http://www.smovs.dk/linux/index.php?note=17&subject=Pinnacle%20DVB-T%20nano%20stick%20%28PCTV%2073e%29
You have to install mercurial from synaptic before installing v4l-dvb
I haven't been able to get tvtime working for a long time but Kaffeine works well for me, just a poor EPG
ukbrian
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Re: TV Woes

Postby k4ever on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 pm

ukbrian: Looks like the set-up you linked to is for digital tv. I'm trying to do analog only. Does anyone know how to make each sound device keep the same hw profile? I have to run this command to get sound in TVtime: tvtime | arecord -D hw:2,0 -r 32000 -c 2 -f S16_LE | aplay -

However, it seems like every time I reboot the OS assigns a different "hw" value to the audio in on the TV card. I have to run "arecord -l" to find the hw value for the TV card before I run the tvtime command.
k4ever
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions