[Solved] Permanent Alias with Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Laurentide

[Solved] Permanent Alias with Debian

Post by Laurentide »

I have created permanent aliases in Ubuntu, and followed this thread in the newbie forum to a T: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... as#p347502

All the same, my aliases in LMDE are not permanent. I've used ubuntu extensively, but I'm new to debian. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Permanent Alias with Debian

Post by Habitual »

Post the output of:

Code: Select all

cat ~/.bashrc
Please.

You can alternatively use

Code: Select all

gedit ~/.bashrc
to get it all on the clipboard.

Don't forget to use the "Code" button in your post!
(Highlight your ~/.bashrc and click the Code Button.

Thanks.
sgosnell

Re: Permanent Alias with Debian

Post by sgosnell »

LMDE uses .bashrc just fine. If you have the proper aliases in your .bashrc, they should be permanent, being sourced every time you open a terminal. You can re-source it without closing the terminal with "source .bashrc", if you don't want to go to the trouble of closing and reopening it after changes. If the .bashrc isn't being honored, you have a problem somewhere. As Habitual said, we would need to see your .bashrc to see what aliases you should be getting. I have a fairly long list of aliases, and they all work every time.
Laurentide

Re: [Solved] Permanent Alias with Debian

Post by Laurentide »

Indeed, you both are right.

There was some wacky code in the beginning of my .bashrc that definitely didn't belong. I would be posting it, but I deleted the code and rebooted before I saved anything.

Thank you for the confirmation as to the root of my problem!
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

There is really no need to reboot after editing .bashrc. It is reread every time a terminal is opened, and if you don't want to close and reopen the terminal you can run "source .bashrc" and it will be reread and sourced. It's only a local file that only affects the current user in a terminal.
Laurentide

Post by Laurentide »

sgosnell,

Thanks for the info! :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”