Dumb question regarding CLI updates [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Dumb question regarding CLI updates [Solved]

Postby doktordave on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:04 pm

I may already know the answer to this one, it's pretty basic.

This is about doing updates in the terminal, and you get to a point where it wants to replace a .conf file for example and it asks you if you want to replace, keep the old one, or show differences. Let's say you select 'D' for differences. How do you switch back to the original running process? I know you use Ctrl-z to get out of man pages, but that doesn't work here. I can't remember for the life of me how you get back to the upgrade after seeing what changes are being made.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by doktordave on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doktordave
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dumb question regarding CLI updates

Postby CiaW on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 pm

I would think but I don't recall specifically, that you would then select which of the remaining 2 options you want (keep old one or replace) by pressing which ever letter for that option? If you tried that and it didn't work, hopefully someone else knows the answer. I'm doing debdelta in a terminal for the few packages that have a delta available and report back if I figure it out in the meantime.

edit: ok, when it shows the 'differences' it's similar to using the 'less' command when viewing a text file. Just type 'q' to get out of it and it'll return you to the prompt asking the original question. Then you can select whichever option you want. I'm selecting install new one(s), in case it matters.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dumb question regarding CLI updates

Postby doktordave on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:56 pm

I figured it would be something like that. :oops:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot on the next update.
doktordave
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions