Getting windows to remember their position

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Getting windows to remember their position

Postby Quantumboredom on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi.

I have installed LMDE as a guest in VirtualBox to try and use it for everyday tasks. The only problem I've encountered is that some windows don't remember their positions, which is a pretty serious usability problem.

A quick search seems to indicate that this is a feature that's always been missing from GNOME. I did however find the "Place Windows" settings in CompizConfig Settings Manager which seems like it would allow me to do what I need. However none of the settings in CompizConfig Settings Manager seem to be working.

Do all of the settings in CompizConfig require 3D acceleration? I have installed guest additions and enabled 3D acceleration, and my impression is that Compiz Fusion should be able to work. Is there a setting hidden somewhere to enable it? Or any other suggestions on how to do what I want (either set window locations and sizes manually or have windows remember their previous settings)?
Quantumboredom
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Getting windows to remember their position

Postby Fornhamfred on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Assuming you are running 64 bit then this should help.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=65870&p=380266&hilit=compiz#p380266

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Getting windows to remember their position

Postby Quantumboredom on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Indeed I am using 64-bit. Running "compiz --replace" seems to do the trick, thanks for the help :)
Quantumboredom
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions