Folders have disappeared

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Folders have disappeared

Postby Bluebris on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Hey,
i hope someone can help me with this, it's a bit weird.

I'm using LMDE on a 64 bit machine. Acer Aspire 5742. It's run like a dream for months. I was trying to type something like /home/ into the terminal and it accidentally appears to have typed into nautilus before i realised. After that, all but one folder (desktop) has disappeared from my home folder. No documents, downloads, music, etc, etc. They've all vanished. I hope to god they haven't disappeared....

Can anyone help? A search has found no signs of them, and there was a ton of stuff i needed in there....

What other information is needed to help with this?

Many thanks.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Bluebris
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Folders have disappeared

Postby viking777 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 am

Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all
ls ~

Are your missing folders listed?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Newbie Questions