Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Postby crazybilly on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm new to LMDE and Debian in general--I've been a long time Ubuntu user. Clearly things are a bit different on Debian with regard to what repos do what (the fact that I installed LMDE the day before Squeeze was released has ratcheted up my confusion level).

Is there an article or two out there already that I can read through to understand what's going on and what repos I should and shouldn't use to get what results (I'm uninformed enough that I don't really know what at this point ;))?

I'm also curious about adding repos outsides the main ones: Ubuntu ppas, other personal repos, etc....

Thanks!
crazybilly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Postby richyrich on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 am

Might want to bookmark this one. Craig updates it regularly . . :mrgreen:

http://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/

caution: be very careful with mixing debian and ubuntu repositories . . NOT recommended !
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Postby jeffreyC on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm

If you do decide to use Ubuntu packages in Debian make sure you have a separate home partition, it makes reinstalling much easier.
I would suggest only installing packages which do not need dependencies from Ubuntu, so you don't end up trying to run some sort of hybrid made up of two distros which are not really compatible.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions