Not so newbie question ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Not so newbie question ?

Postby nardusg on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 am

Hey Mint Users :o

I have been allot of distro along the years. My latest one was Ubuntu.

My question is:
Linux Mint Debian is based on the Debian "test" tree. But this "test" tree is more stable than other distros. Can you install some bleeding edge apps. I am not concerned about some of the services or even the kernel to lag behind the other distros, but it would be nice to run some apps on the latest release. Apps that spring to mind:

Banshee
Firefox
Chat Clients
Shotwell

Or do I need to stick with the ubuntu based mint ?

Thanks

Nar
nardusg
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Not so newbie question ?

Postby Dave68 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 am

You could add some unstable and experimental repos, but thats not very advisable right now.

If you're used to Ubuntu, they are based on unstable, except for the LTS Versions (Mint 9 and Lucid 10.04). It's up to you, but again, it's not very advisable. If you're going back to buntu, then you are already unstable. Your choice.

Others may advise differently, but I'll stick with testing. No issue's thus far.

Dave
Linux User: 528038
Primary PC: Version: LMDE (201101), 32 Bit.
Alternate 1: Version: Peppermint One OS, 32 Bit.
Laptop: Version: Julia Main (10), AMD 64
Dave68
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Not so newbie question ?

Postby TBABill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:39 pm

I think the key to the question is stability. All those newer apps are part of an ecosystem that create instability by the very nature of their being newer. It is more a question of what your needs or wants are. Debian testing is stable and has older apps, but yes you can install newer ones. But you won't find them in the Debian repos (at least not in testing). So you will venture outside the repos and possibly have to compile yourself. That's not a good or bad thing, just something to consider.

It's not like in Ubuntu 10.10 where you may have the latest goodies (like the new 4.8 xfce or KDE 4.6, for example) already available or backported. But in LMDE you will find the older versions more stable and solid.

Depends on what you want. Personally, if I wanted the latest apps and kernels I would run the Ubuntu based Mint and if I wanted pretty much rock solid stability in comparison I'd choose LMDE. But one important note is many users are running the liquorix kernel (2.6.37 I think) and getting great performance on LMDE with it, and that's a latest and greatest kernel for now.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions