LMDE and KDE (overriden)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Postby oskarloko on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Hello

I've installed LMDE and works great - I'm using it with gnome and avant.

Two days ago, I installed kde-full package to try the KDE taste of Linux; to experiment with the KDE interface.

The problem is, that when I login into KDE it works ok.
But after two seconds with the desktop loaded, it goes black and the gnome desktop icons appears, also the avant window manager (which is configured to run into my gnome session ) :?:

With [Alt][F2] I can use KRunner, I think some gnome configurations/apps are overriding KDE ones.
I see gconf2 and gconf-helper running in background

¿ Has anyone suffered this, and knows how to fix it ?

BTW - Is there any repository or method to download and install KDE4.6 ( actual is KDE4.5.x)

oskarloko
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Postby crazybilly on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:40 am

BTW - Is there any repository or method to download and install KDE4.6 ( actual is KDE4.5.x)

I'm curious about this too. Is there an easy way to upgrade to 4.6?
crazybilly
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Postby Silent Warrior on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 am

That sounds like either Kwin crashes, or Plasma. The first thing I'd do is go into Systemsettings and disable any desktop effects, then see if that prevents crashing. Do you have apport installed?

I'm also very very curious about KDE 4.6. I actually tried to compile it just now, but; epic fail, I don't have Qt 4.7 - and even the KDE crew advice against compiling that on our own. It WILL arrive at some point, that much is clear, but I couldn't possibly say when.

[Edit] HA! Check this out: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00003.html
It says KDE 4.6 is expected to be uploaded to Wheezy in early March - which is now! But, then again, this IS Debian... So, uh, mid-April? :P Ah, maybe that's the Experimental or Unstable repository, not Testing... Anyway, the wait just got shorter. Whee!
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions