LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
oskarloko

LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Post by oskarloko »

Hello

I've installed LMDE and works great - I'm using it with gnome and avant.

Two days ago, I installed kde-full package to try the KDE taste of Linux; to experiment with the KDE interface.

The problem is, that when I login into KDE it works ok.
But after two seconds with the desktop loaded, it goes black and the gnome desktop icons appears, also the avant window manager (which is configured to run into my gnome session ) :?:

With [Alt][F2] I can use KRunner, I think some gnome configurations/apps are overriding KDE ones.
I see gconf2 and gconf-helper running in background

¿ Has anyone suffered this, and knows how to fix it ?

BTW - Is there any repository or method to download and install KDE4.6 ( actual is KDE4.5.x)

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crazybilly

Re: LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Post by crazybilly »

BTW - Is there any repository or method to download and install KDE4.6 ( actual is KDE4.5.x)
I'm curious about this too. Is there an easy way to upgrade to 4.6?
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE and KDE (overriden)

Post by Silent Warrior »

That sounds like either Kwin crashes, or Plasma. The first thing I'd do is go into Systemsettings and disable any desktop effects, then see if that prevents crashing. Do you have apport installed?

I'm also very very curious about KDE 4.6. I actually tried to compile it just now, but; epic fail, I don't have Qt 4.7 - and even the KDE crew advice against compiling that on our own. It WILL arrive at some point, that much is clear, but I couldn't possibly say when.

[Edit] HA! Check this out: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00003.html
It says KDE 4.6 is expected to be uploaded to Wheezy in early March - which is now! But, then again, this IS Debian... So, uh, mid-April? :P Ah, maybe that's the Experimental or Unstable repository, not Testing... Anyway, the wait just got shorter. Whee!

Return to “LMDE Archive”