repositories still say testing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

repositories still say testing

Postby lKingjr on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:04 am

my LMDE 10 install was done I believe since the RC. My software sources.repositories still say "testing". now that LMDE 10 has been out awhile, should they still say testing?

thanks.
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: repositories still say testing

Postby gosa on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 am

Now... I'm quite new with this so if anyone wants to step in and correct me I won't take offense... :wink:
But - it is my understanding that LMDE will always follow debian testing.
If you want to stay with Squeeze you have to change your setup manually to point to squeeze instead...

Edit: By the way... there are no such thing as LMDE 10, so I just assumed we are talking about LMDE now that we're in that part of the forum. Right?
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lKingjr on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:59 am

gosa wrote:Now... I'm quite new with this so if anyone wants to step in and correct me I won't take offense... :wink:
But - it is my understanding that LMDE will always follow debian testing.
If you want to stay with Squeeze you have to change your setup manually to point to squeeze instead...

Edit: By the way... there are no such thing as LMDE 10, so I just assumed we are talking about LMDE now that we're in that part of the forum. Right?

true enough. I just started calling it that when they started using the themes and icons from LM10
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5

Postby TBABill on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 am

Yes your repos should still say testing. Even if you change them to squeeze at this point and have done some updates since Squeeze released, you probably got all the updates that came in within a week or two after release. Testing is now Wheezy and I'm just leaving mine on testing. No point making them anything else unless you want stable and AFAIK the only way to have true stable based on Squeeze is to install from iso (pre Debian 6 release), change repos to Squeeze (or stable) and then do updates. That way none of the Wheezy stuff gets pulled in.

LMDE will stay with testing and there are lots of interesting perspectives and discussion threads on changing/keeping repos throughout the LMDE forum.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenathos on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 am

TBABill is correct as per the repositories. I also agree that the default wallpaper can be misleading for LMDE users.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gosa on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 am

rivenathos wrote: I also agree that the default wallpaper can be misleading for LMDE users.

So true... And it's not the first time I read LMDE 10 being mentioned.. (Confused the h*ck out of me in the beginning...)

Although I lack the skills for it myself I'm quite confident that the theme & wallpaper wizards can come up with something that gives a bit more "identity" to LMDE.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gotjazz on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm

also the designation lmde 10 that some people use - maybe even worse than the wallpaper. there's no such thing.
there is only one lmde and that's kind of the point. It always stays lmde
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rivenathos on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:09 pm

The only distinction I have made in regards to LMDE is Spin 1 and Spin 2. Of course, that just refers to a particular point in time, though a good spot of reference.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions