How to install LM10 icons in LMDE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How to install LM10 icons in LMDE?

Postby oryan_dunn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm

I've just installed LMDE and I've used LM10 from a Live CD and noticed that the LM10 version has a slightly different set of icons, notably Firefox, Thunderbird, Sound and Monitors on the main Mint menu. How do I install those icons from LM10 into LMDE?
oryan_dunn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install LM10 icons in LMDE?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Go to Gnome-Look.org and enter Mint-X theme in the search box. This will give you the complete package.

Download it to your download folder and unzip the package using Archive Manager.

After the folder is unzipped, you will have a file in your Download folder labeled Mint X theme. Open this file and you will find the Mint X icon set as well as the Mint X theme.

Move the icon set to /usr/share/icons and it will be available for installation in the Appearance window with all the other themes.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Transitman on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 am

oryan_dunn wrote:I've just installed LMDE and I've used LM10 from a Live CD and noticed that the LM10 version has a slightly different set of icons, notably Firefox, Thunderbird, Sound and Monitors on the main Mint menu. How do I install those icons from LM10 into LMDE?

These icons are also in the repos.
Make sure you have MAIN, UPSTREAM, IMPORT and BACKPORT checked, reload Synaptic and search for mint-x-icons and mint-x-theme. Install and the adjust your desktop settings.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Postby oryan_dunn on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 am

Transitman wrote:These icons are also in the repos.
Make sure you have MAIN, UPSTREAM, IMPORT and BACKPORT checked, reload Synaptic and search for mint-x-icons and mint-x-theme. Install and the adjust your desktop settings.

Those packages are already installed and were already in use. On LM10, the firefox icon is a square icon, the thunderbird icon a stylized stamp, but on LMDE, those apps have the official icons.
oryan_dunn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 am

I checked a few things out and have reached at least a temporary impasse. The proper icons are in the icon sets in /usr/share/icons but do not get used when the apps are installed, the default Mozilla icons are used instead.

If you have awn dock installed, and try to install Firefox or Thunderbird, no icons (not even the Mozilla defaults) are offered when setting up the launcher. Custom icons must be used.

I will keep digging to try to find out exactly what is going on.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby oryan_dunn on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Aging Technogeek, thanks for looking into this.

Below are some screenshots for comparison.

Here's the screenshots of LMDE:

and the LM10:

The sound and monitor icons are also different. The LM10 monitor icon is nice becuase it is much easier to distinguish between terminal, than the LMDE montior icon.

I like the sound icon in LMDE better, but it too is also very similar to the rhythmbox icon.
oryan_dunn
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions