Enabling "Backports" in LMDE-testing --Any advantages?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneC

Enabling "Backports" in LMDE-testing --Any advantages?

Post by GeneC »

Being new to Linux. I take a lot of tips I see on the forum, and implement them without really knowing what they do. :?

I just realized that I have "backports" enabled (and remember that I read somewhere that it was a good idea), but not at all sure why?

What are "backports" and what do I get there. Is it a good idea to enable it or not :?:

I have never had a problem, and accepted all updates, but have learned to "never say, never"!

What do you all suggest?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: Enabling "Backports" in LMDE-testing --What are advantag

Post by GeneC »

After more research

DEBIAN PACKAGES
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/

To me, it doesn't even appear like there is a "backports" for testing (Wheezy). The latest is "squeeze-backports" and there seems to be very little in it, and that is old stuff .

So it seems to be of no advantage at all to ad backports to testing :?:
viking777

Re: Enabling "Backports" in LMDE-testing --What are advantag

Post by viking777 »

From debian.org:
Backports are recompiled packages from testing (mostly) and unstable (in a few cases only, e.g. security updates) in a stable environment so that they will run without new libraries (whenever it is possible) on a Debian stable distribution. It is recommended to select single backports which fit your needs, and not to use all available backports.
I know you are not running Debian Stable, but it just illustrates the principle.

At the moment LMDE backports is empty so it won't make a whit of difference if you have it enabled or not. It may do in the future though. It depends if you need more up to date packages (and if Clem + team decide to put anything in there).

For info I have it enabled.
GeneC

Re: Enabling "Backports" in LMDE-testing --Any advantages?

Post by GeneC »

Thanks again Viking777

OK, so it WILL (someday :)) update some stuff.

I will leave it selected.

Return to “LMDE Archive”