udev and udev-mtab services ,, running or not?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

udev and udev-mtab services ,, running or not?

Postby robert-e on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi,
Would a few of you running LMDE 32 bit please post whether or not in Administration..Services have "udev" and/or "udev-mtab" services ticked? I have been having problems with Nvidia-settings not working, and googleing seems to indicate a problem with udev. I cannot recall if it were ticked on in the old version of LMDE or not. Thank you.

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: udev and udev-mtab services ,, running or not?

Postby bitmason on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 am

Udev should be running - it maps out the different physical parts of the computer and then adds them as symlinks to the filesystem - allowing you to use them. Udev is part of just about every modern Linux distribution.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
- Calvin & Hobbes
bitmason
Level 2
Level 2

Postby robert-e on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 am

@bitmason,
Agreed, but mine is not running, and if I start it, it kills the keyboard, and screw up USB. Are you running LMDE all updated, and did you check the services screen on your machine?

Regards.
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kruijf on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:45 am

I'm running the 32bit version from the begining and udev and udev-mtab services are not ticked in Administration....Services.
Acer Aspire 5749: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon

dropbox

Linux steunpunt Soest

Twitter: @bdekruijf

Team Member of the Dutch support forum.
kruijf
Level 3
Level 3

Postby robert-e on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

kruijf,
Thank you. I am now starting to wonder if perhaps udev is now in the kernel?

For anyone who happens to tick udev on in the gui service tool; you may lose the keyboard, then be unable to type in the password to untick it. There are a couple of ways out of this...you need another computer or at least a livecd. Make a text file with your password in it. Save it to a memory stick. Move the stick back to your linux computer. Now unplug the usb mouse and the stick and replug them. You should now have the mouse back and you can copy and paste the password when you go to run the services gui. Then untick the udev box, and any other that you might have activated. Reboot.

Or you can boot into runlevel 1 by editing the kernel line...just type the space bar while booting. Follow the directions and add a number 1 at the end of the kernal line. You might have to type your password. The type service udev stop ,
then type exit. The desktop will start, and then you have to use the gui to untick the udev service in the gui. I dont know why but you will see that it is still ticked even though you stopped the service as root. Then reboot and all should be back to "normal".

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gotjazz on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:56 am

hrm or the services gui is just at fault and it's running when unchecked? :p
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby robert-e on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 pm

heh heh, gotjazz,
Your suggestion made me wonder...I ran service --status-all, and got a (?), meaning I guess the OS does not know? So, I guess I am still no wiser.

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Marame on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 am

Yes, I had several problems when I ticked udev and udev-mtab in services. Keyboard and mouse (Logitech cordless with USB and PS/2 plugs) did not work unless I replugged USB and login was possible. Lmsensors did not recognize udisks (two Samsung SATA disks) but libsensors worked. Something wrong with those services initialized in startup.

Marame
Marame
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions