Problem stopping X

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Problem stopping X

Postby Evnas on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 pm

So Im trying to stall my ATi driver, and I'm following the guide for Debian (http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary). When I put in the command
Code: Select all
# invoke-rc.d gdm3 stop
I get nothing. A blank screen with a cursor flashing in the top left corner. I type, and it registers my keystrokes and they show up on the screen, but theres no actual command prompt or anything. Any ideas? I'm pretty new to it all but I find it strange that I'm having problems getting something to STOP running, lol.
Evnas
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem stopping X

Postby vincent on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Code: Select all
sudo service gdm3 stop

Then press CTRL+ALT+F# (i.e. F1-F7) to switch to a tty, where you can then login and proceed to install fglrx.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions