Startup Disk Creator doesn't work with LMDE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Startup Disk Creator doesn't work with LMDE?

Postby Lolo Uila on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:51 am

Okay, this is odd... I'm trying to make a bootable USB stick for Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) and Startup Disk Creator won't load the .iso?

I fire up Startup Disk Creator, click on "Other..." and choose "linuxmint-debian-201101-gnome-dvd-i386.iso" off my file server, and nothing. It doesn't show up after I open it. I have all the Mint-9 and Mint-10 .iso files on the server as well (and even some Ubuntu images), and they all work fine. Only the Debian Edition refuses to load into Startup Disk Creator.

I have verified the md5, and tried to copy the file to a local directory, no help. :( I tried a search but didn't find anything useful. What's going in here?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Startup Disk Creator doesn't work with LMDE?

Postby JasonLG on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:15 am

Lolo Uila wrote:Okay, this is odd... I'm trying to make a bootable USB stick for Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) and Startup Disk Creator won't load the .iso?

I fire up Startup Disk Creator, click on "Other..." and choose "linuxmint-debian-201101-gnome-dvd-i386.iso" off my file server, and nothing. It doesn't show up after I open it. I have all the Mint-9 and Mint-10 .iso files on the server as well (and even some Ubuntu images), and they all work fine. Only the Debian Edition refuses to load into Startup Disk Creator.

I have verified the md5, and tried to copy the file to a local directory, no help. :( I tried a search but didn't find anything useful. What's going in here?

Either by design or by bug(?) it only works with Ubuntu(ish) ISO's. You'll have to use unetbootin.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Startup Disk Creator doesn't work with LMDE?

Postby Dr.m0x on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 am

Yes unetbootin will work with any live disc whatsoever.

Sent from my Desire HD pocket rocket.
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions