(solved) android phone

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

(solved) android phone

Postby nalsdixit on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:26 am

hi, i got a new android smart phone (htc desire HD), which seems not recognisable by lmde, as in not mountable, non syncable etc. is there some packages i need to install to make it work?,

tks

nals
Last edited by nalsdixit on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: android phone

Postby Jaime Frontero on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Try installing Banshee. It should sync your music without a hitch, and mount your phone as a file system to transfer files.

You'll probably still have to use some kind of cloud thing - like Dropbox - to get your contact lists and other things of a more phone-centric type. Upload to the cloud, download to your desktop computer...
Jaime Frontero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dr.m0x on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 pm

Yes you can sync your music using banshee. There is also a program called open sync, not sure if it's in the repos as I'm posting from my Desire HD Android phone.

I know this isn't very helpful, except to let you know it is possible, but my Dhd works 100% the same on lmde as on any other distro. I can mount my sd card, do usb tethering, and mod my phone via adb and fastboot.

Do you have the latest kernel updates installed? Did you wait a few seconds for the mount to appear in Nautilus? Can you confirm the phone is connected at all?

Try to type "lsusb | grep "High Tech Computer Corp" in a terminal. Then you can see if the device is even on the usb bus, a good place to start.

--- I am geek. Hear me squeek. ---
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Postby 900i on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:39 pm

No problem here mounting my Androids to my laptop in any version of Mint.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gosa on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:39 pm

900i wrote:No problem here mounting my Androids to my laptop in any version of Mint.

I know I'm not exactly helping either but I have to say:

+ 1

I was actually surprised that it was so easy... I just plugged in my Desire, selected "disk drive" and it mounted just like any other usb-thingie. Same with using it as a modem - plugged it in and selected... Hmmm... don't remember what that option is called... and it worked.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

(solved): android phone

Postby nalsdixit on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 pm

it works if i have rhythmbox launched on the computer first. if not it does not mount, which is o k with me

tks

nals
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions