[Solved] How to change the Debian background on login?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[Solved] How to change the Debian background on login?

Postby Imagus on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but searching the forums for "background image" or "login screen" gave me too many results to be useful.

I would like to change the blue Debian screen that appears while booting LMDE. I liked the previous Debian screens, but not this recent spacefun-splash thingy, it looks like a Christmas card with those red and white stars. So I searched for the images on my computer, and found these files in my /usr/share/images/desktop-base folder:

spacefun-splash.svg
spacefun-wallpager.svg
spacefun-wallpaper-widescreen.svg

I think the easiest way to change the screen would be to replace the contents of these files with another image, but isn't there another way? Is there maybe a .cfg file in which those files are referenced or what is the proper way to do this?

Also, do the images have to be in svg format or can I use another format as well?

Thank you.
Last edited by Imagus on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to change the Debian background on login?

Postby vincent on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am

Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-splash

Or as you said, you could simply replace spacefun-splash.svg with your own image. And no, it does not have to be a .svg image.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to change the Debian background on login?

Postby Imagus on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 am

vincent wrote:
Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-splash

Or as you said, you could simply replace spacefun-splash.svg with your own image. And no, it does not have to be a .svg image.

I had no idea this could be done in the terminal...

Thank you!
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions