[Solved] How to change the Debian background on login?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] How to change the Debian background on login?

Postby Imagus on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but searching the forums for "background image" or "login screen" gave me too many results to be useful.

I would like to change the blue Debian screen that appears while booting LMDE. I liked the previous Debian screens, but not this recent spacefun-splash thingy, it looks like a Christmas card with those red and white stars. So I searched for the images on my computer, and found these files in my /usr/share/images/desktop-base folder:

spacefun-splash.svg
spacefun-wallpager.svg
spacefun-wallpaper-widescreen.svg

I think the easiest way to change the screen would be to replace the contents of these files with another image, but isn't there another way? Is there maybe a .cfg file in which those files are referenced or what is the proper way to do this?

Also, do the images have to be in svg format or can I use another format as well?

Thank you.
Last edited by Imagus on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to change the Debian background on login?

Postby vincent on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am

Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-splash

Or as you said, you could simply replace spacefun-splash.svg with your own image. And no, it does not have to be a .svg image.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to change the Debian background on login?

Postby Imagus on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 am

vincent wrote:
Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-splash

Or as you said, you could simply replace spacefun-splash.svg with your own image. And no, it does not have to be a .svg image.

I had no idea this could be done in the terminal...

Thank you!
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions