Install Kde?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod1

Install Kde?

Post by specmod1 »

How do i install KDE so it don't interfere with Gnome? Like KDE programs showing up on the gnome desktop and crap like that......

And why does every program have to have a K at the front of it? It makes it hard to find programs.... Thats why i never used KDE, But gnome going down hill with this SHELL crap, So now i have to switch to kde sooner or later..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Install Kde?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The best way to do this is to install the KDE version of Mint in a dual boot with the main edition until you are comfortable with KDE, then you can get rid of the main(Gnome) edition. Installing KDE on top of Gnome is hard to do without some Gnome attributes bleeding over into KDE.

If you are determined to leave Gnome, you might also check out the Xfce and LXDE versions of Mint. They are lighter than either Gnome or KDE and boot and run somewhat quicker on most machines.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Or just set up a new user.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

by the way...i don't know if you were aware of this, but while Ubuntu is going to have both gnome 3 and the gnome "shell" in their next edition...Mint will NOT...Clem is not going in that direction...Mint 11 will have Gnome 3 but WITHOUT the shell so it will look like the old familar gnome that you know...so if you stay with Mint (as opposed to Ubuntu) you don't HAVE to switch to KDE just to avoid it...

Also, i believe that even in Ubuntu, one will have the option of shutting off the shell aspect if they desire...at least that is what i read...but Clem definitely is NOT going that way...just for your information...
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

thats what i am thinking add a new user? should the user be admin?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Your existing admin password will work on all new users, I am very naughty, I set sudo up so it doesn't need a password :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”