resolution 800*600

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

resolution 800*600

Postby webzee on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm

I just have run "dist-upgrade" and now I see the screen resolution is 800*600

Nvidia-config says that I don't have nvidia drivers loaded, but in fact I have them installed.

I have all necessary modules.

What did I do wrong? I shouldn't run dist-upgrade? or install LMDE? or shouldn't buy notebook based on nvidia chip?
webzee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: resolution 800*600

Postby nevius on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 am

webzee wrote:I just have run "dist-upgrade" and now I see the screen resolution is 800*600

Nvidia-config says that I don't have nvidia drivers loaded, but in fact I have them installed.

I have all necessary modules.

What did I do wrong? I shouldn't run dist-upgrade? or install LMDE? or shouldn't buy notebook based on nvidia chip?

Did you follow the steps on the debian wiki? http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDr ... allation-1

Did you run ’nvidia-xconfig'?
nevius
Level 1
Level 1

Postby webzee on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 am

yes, I had it installed. everything worked fine before dist-upgrade.

xconfig said that no nvidia drivers were loaded.

I just used script from sxmi.org to recover. It worked.

But I still wonder, if anyone should run this script or I did something wrong with upgrade or this was wrong upgrade or what?
webzee
Level 1
Level 1

Postby colossus75 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:21 am

webzee wrote:yes, I had it installed. everything worked fine before dist-upgrade.

xconfig said that no nvidia drivers were loaded.

I just used script from sxmi.org to recover. It worked.

But I still wonder, if anyone should run this script or I did something wrong with upgrade or this was wrong upgrade or what?

I had the same issue with the 32bit LMDE. For the mean time, I am holding back from getting the new xserver-common (under Update Manager), however, in Synaptic I hold back "xserver-common" and "xserver-xorg-core". I am doing my updating with Synaptic, since threads say that Update Manager isn't fully functional with LMDE. When I do the cli method of "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", it does all the available upgrades..and I can't prevent the install of the xserver stuff I held back with Synaptic...or rather, I don't know how to hold back stuff from the cli. Lucky I had a clonezilla image to restore from. Normally before I do any updates..I make a clonezilla image of my working LMDE 32 bit..just in case an new update breaks something. I am actually now having issues with a fresh install of LMDE 64bit..but I will put that in another thread. I am trying to dual-boot LMDE 64 and 32. Right now..only my 32bit LMDE is functional the way I need it to be and stable..with out those 2 xserver updates I mentioned above.
Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 2.6GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2 800Mhz
500GB Seagate SATA 3.5" 7200.11 [OS/data]
400GB x2 1st (main data drive xfs) 2nd(rsync'd data drive xfs)
400GB (virtual machine drive xfs)
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions