resolution 800*600

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

resolution 800*600

Postby webzee on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm

I just have run "dist-upgrade" and now I see the screen resolution is 800*600

Nvidia-config says that I don't have nvidia drivers loaded, but in fact I have them installed.

I have all necessary modules.

What did I do wrong? I shouldn't run dist-upgrade? or install LMDE? or shouldn't buy notebook based on nvidia chip?
webzee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: resolution 800*600

Postby nevius on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 am

webzee wrote:I just have run "dist-upgrade" and now I see the screen resolution is 800*600

Nvidia-config says that I don't have nvidia drivers loaded, but in fact I have them installed.

I have all necessary modules.

What did I do wrong? I shouldn't run dist-upgrade? or install LMDE? or shouldn't buy notebook based on nvidia chip?

Did you follow the steps on the debian wiki? http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDr ... allation-1

Did you run ’nvidia-xconfig'?
nevius
Level 1
Level 1

Postby webzee on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 am

yes, I had it installed. everything worked fine before dist-upgrade.

xconfig said that no nvidia drivers were loaded.

I just used script from sxmi.org to recover. It worked.

But I still wonder, if anyone should run this script or I did something wrong with upgrade or this was wrong upgrade or what?
webzee
Level 1
Level 1

Postby colossus75 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:21 am

webzee wrote:yes, I had it installed. everything worked fine before dist-upgrade.

xconfig said that no nvidia drivers were loaded.

I just used script from sxmi.org to recover. It worked.

But I still wonder, if anyone should run this script or I did something wrong with upgrade or this was wrong upgrade or what?

I had the same issue with the 32bit LMDE. For the mean time, I am holding back from getting the new xserver-common (under Update Manager), however, in Synaptic I hold back "xserver-common" and "xserver-xorg-core". I am doing my updating with Synaptic, since threads say that Update Manager isn't fully functional with LMDE. When I do the cli method of "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", it does all the available upgrades..and I can't prevent the install of the xserver stuff I held back with Synaptic...or rather, I don't know how to hold back stuff from the cli. Lucky I had a clonezilla image to restore from. Normally before I do any updates..I make a clonezilla image of my working LMDE 32 bit..just in case an new update breaks something. I am actually now having issues with a fresh install of LMDE 64bit..but I will put that in another thread. I am trying to dual-boot LMDE 64 and 32. Right now..only my 32bit LMDE is functional the way I need it to be and stable..with out those 2 xserver updates I mentioned above.
Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 2.6GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2 800Mhz
500GB Seagate SATA 3.5" 7200.11 [OS/data]
400GB x2 1st (main data drive xfs) 2nd(rsync'd data drive xfs)
400GB (virtual machine drive xfs)
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions