Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

Postby panzer on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm using LMDE 64-bit and I have an Nvidia GTS 250 card. This card has a DVI output connector.
So, I'm thinking to buy a DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI Female adapter and a HDMI cable.
If I play a movie I have in my PC, this movie should also play on my hdtv? I read somewhere I need alsa 1.0.23 ? :?
Thanks
panzer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

Postby JasonLG on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:16 am

panzer wrote:I'm using LMDE 64-bit and I have an Nvidia GTS 250 card. This card has a DVI output connector.
So, I'm thinking to buy a DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI Female adapter and a HDMI cable.
If I play a movie I have in my PC, this movie should also play on my hdtv? I read somewhere I need alsa 1.0.23 ? :?
Thanks

DVI is video only. You'll have to kick the audio out some other way.

They also make HDMI to DVI cables. There's no need to spring for a HDMI cable a DVI to HDMI adapter.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

Postby monkeytennis on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 am

On a similiar vein can you output via HDMI via in Nvidia card? Thinking about trying LMDE on my vaio (currently just have it on my netbook!). Cheers
monkeytennis
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions