Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

Postby panzer on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm using LMDE 64-bit and I have an Nvidia GTS 250 card. This card has a DVI output connector.
So, I'm thinking to buy a DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI Female adapter and a HDMI cable.
If I play a movie I have in my PC, this movie should also play on my hdtv? I read somewhere I need alsa 1.0.23 ? :?
Thanks
panzer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

Postby JasonLG on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:16 am

panzer wrote:I'm using LMDE 64-bit and I have an Nvidia GTS 250 card. This card has a DVI output connector.
So, I'm thinking to buy a DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI Female adapter and a HDMI cable.
If I play a movie I have in my PC, this movie should also play on my hdtv? I read somewhere I need alsa 1.0.23 ? :?
Thanks

DVI is video only. You'll have to kick the audio out some other way.

They also make HDMI to DVI cables. There's no need to spring for a HDMI cable a DVI to HDMI adapter.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can I watching movies to my HDTV via my PC?

Postby monkeytennis on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 am

On a similiar vein can you output via HDMI via in Nvidia card? Thinking about trying LMDE on my vaio (currently just have it on my netbook!). Cheers
monkeytennis
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions