give a user admin privileges for everything without root

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

give a user admin privileges for everything without root

Postby undernet on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi

I'm currently going mad over the permissions system in linux. I used to use ubuntu and just used the root account for everything but some programs will not run or not work properly as root eg. VLC.

So now i'm on LMDE on a normal user account, but having to type the password in for root or sudo all the time is annoying me. I just want to be able to login to my profile when i start up my pc with my password once and then have the power to do anything without entering any passwords or having to become root to use certain commands.

For example I cant use iptables as a normal user and running commands like the one below to prevent vlc from using the internet do not work because of permissions problems.

Code: Select all
iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -m owner --gid-owner no-internet -j DROP
sg no-internet vlc

the command above will not work because changing the group that an app will run under requires you are root but vlc will not run as root.

I know the risks of having admin rights all the time but its something i'm prepared to live with in order to not have to change user accounts to perform tasks or have to type in passwords all the time.

So how would one go about achieving this?
undernet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: give a user admin privileges for everything without root

Postby JasonLG on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Use sudo.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Postby jeffreyC on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Windows runs as admin all the time and look how secure it isn't.
There is a reason for the extra steps in Linux.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CiaW on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 pm

One thing that might be helpful is a 'root terminal'. I've added a top panel to my desktop so I could throw on some frequently used panel add-ons (like weather and tracker search and etc. etc.) One item available to add is 'root terminal' under Accessories. I generally open it once for things like debdelta-upgrade and then leave it open, so you only have to enter the sudo password once.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xircon on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:18 pm

This is helpful for sudo:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45390

I set up sudo to require no password, still have to type sudo, but it no longer requires a password.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions