What software can be removed?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What software can be removed?

Postby specmod1 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:41 pm

I want to make a custom live cd.... A lite cd, 400mb or 500mb ...

I need a list of what can be removed safely....... without damaging the system would be nice if there was a program that would excloud the software without removing from my computer while making the iso

I need video drivers, Internet tools wifi, etc

I do not need Blue tooth, Open office. 10 different video programs... or other blobs of junk, including gimp. games, wallpapers.
specmod1
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What software can be removed?

Postby specmod1 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm

specmod1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ThistleWeb on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Might be easier using a minimal CD and adding in what you do want, than taking something more complete and removing stuff. One thing you won't be able to remove if you use Gnome, is Evolution.
Crivens!
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Postby CiaW on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:33 pm

The first thing I removed was mono and related apps. (i.e. tomboy notes, I replaced with gnote but never use it). Also you should be able to safely remove pulseaudio. Also evolution email and some gnome related thing that's just a meta package, if you don't use evolution for email.

And, claws mail is smaller than thunderbird for email I think, it's what I use. Unless you need samba you can probably remove that too... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Habitual on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

ThistleWeb wrote:...One thing you won't be able to remove if you use Gnome, is Evolution.

I am pretty sure you can. But you have to leave evolution-data-server.

I could be wrong, I installed Windows once. :)
What's a landing but a take off in reverse?
My DorkBlog
Habitual
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ThistleWeb on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:07 pm

I looked into this a bit a few days ago, from what I could find, Gnome won't work at all without Evolution, it's glued into lots of different parts like the calendar, gnome-panel, notes etc As far as I could work out, the only way you avoid Evolution, is to avoid Gnome. I'd like to be wrong however.
Crivens!
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Postby CiaW on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 pm

When LMDE was first released in Sept (32 bit) it didn't have evolution installed by default. Then there was a package that came through the updates called 'gnome-core' that added evolution and some other bits. See: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62021

From info on that thread, I did this, each is a separate command:
Code: Select all
aptitude keep-all
apt-get remove gnome-core
aptitude keep-all

Then I removed evolution and evolution-common and a couple of other related packages. I did leave evolution-data-server, that is required by other core packages. I kept the info. handy and did the same thing on LMDE 64bit, no evolution installed here anymore.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions