Can't get "Captcha" verification words

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Postby pottzie on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 pm

I can't get "Captcha" verification words when I go to various websites- well, Craigslist, to be exact. I have Firefox and Google chrome as web browsers, and don't have this problem on any other computer. In fact, I have other operating systems on different hard drives that I run on the same computer as Mint/Debian. And I just downloaded the new XFCE live cd- same problem, no "Captcha" words! Weird.

And yes, if I'm on Craigslist, I AM looking for love in all the wrong places.
pottzie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Postby hemimaniac on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Most of those sites use java for the Captcha, best way to get it all in right away is sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted extras.

That will grab everything you need plus a couple other bonus codecs and the w32codecs collection
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"
hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Postby dawgdoc on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 pm

hemimaniac wrote:Most of those sites use java for the Captcha, ...sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted extras.

That will be difficult since pottzie is running LMDE. But Hemimaniac is correct about needing Java for many such sites. I have the NoScript add-on enabled and the java based Captchas do not show up until I allow the site to run scripts. I usually do this after I feel a moments confusion about why I was not able to post/enter/send to the site. So check and make sure you allow scripts for a site if you have java installed and are running any sort of script blocker.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 17 Cinnamon, LMDE
READING: Smoke Screen by Dick Francis
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Newbie Questions