Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pottzie

Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Post by pottzie »

I can't get "Captcha" verification words when I go to various websites- well, Craigslist, to be exact. I have Firefox and Google chrome as web browsers, and don't have this problem on any other computer. In fact, I have other operating systems on different hard drives that I run on the same computer as Mint/Debian. And I just downloaded the new XFCE live cd- same problem, no "Captcha" words! Weird.

And yes, if I'm on Craigslist, I AM looking for love in all the wrong places.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hemimaniac

Re: Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Post by hemimaniac »

Most of those sites use java for the Captcha, best way to get it all in right away is sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted extras.

That will grab everything you need plus a couple other bonus codecs and the w32codecs collection
dawgdoc

Re: Can't get "Captcha" verification words

Post by dawgdoc »

hemimaniac wrote:Most of those sites use java for the Captcha, ...sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted extras.
That will be difficult since pottzie is running LMDE. But Hemimaniac is correct about needing Java for many such sites. I have the NoScript add-on enabled and the java based Captchas do not show up until I allow the site to run scripts. I usually do this after I feel a moments confusion about why I was not able to post/enter/send to the site. So check and make sure you allow scripts for a site if you have java installed and are running any sort of script blocker.

Return to “LMDE Archive”